41. Pure unadulterated terror.

JORDAN’S POV

I could almost see myself faint because all the blood rushed to my head. I went into overdrive. I didn’t know who sent that bouquet or the card, but that person somehow knew what had happened to me. And I was fucking terrified.

I felt like a cornered animal looking for a shelter only to find predators in each one of them. The last three days even with the pain, I finally felt like I was free. But now I was thinking if I would ever be free.

“Hey, Jo. Look at me!” Nick’s voice brought me back to the land of the living. I focused on his face and saw the worry in his expression. “Breathe, Jo.”

I gasped for breath. I didn’t realize I was holding it in. Taking deep breaths, I leaned on Nick for support.

What was happening?

I still felt lightheaded but better. I pulled back and saw Nick clutching the card in one hand and his other hand was snaked around my shoulders. I pried the piece of writing from his hand and read it again.

The choke of fear when I first read was still present. Who the fuck was A? I know for a fact that nobody knows what happened to me. And the only one knows was my family and the police department. The cops sending me flowers are quintessential of unprofessional. And it leaves everybody out.

Was someone with Brayden. But he was working alone and the letter didn’t seem suspicious like he was coming to get me or something. It just felt a bit stalkerish.

Maybe he is a she.

Fuck, if I know. But what I know is that I would not be able to suffer another bout of fear in the hands of a stranger. And that thought scares me to death.

“Give me that,” Nick demanded as he ripped the card from my hand and pocketed it just as two cars entered the pathway.

George was driving the first car with his family of four and behind them, Zach was driving the SUV with Amelia. We would travel with them. But trying to think me in close confines almost made me puke. Almost.

Nick stepped forward and saw my hesitation.

“Stay here.” He ordered and left me on the sidewalk before kissing my forehead.

I stayed on the sidewalk clutching the dreaded flowers while Nick went to talk with both of them.

After few minutes, Zach got his briefcase from the back seat of his car and flagged down a cab. He waved us goodbye and went to the opposite side of our apartment. To his work.

And Amelia got out next but before getting up on George’s car, she strode towards me.

“Are you alright?” She asked.

“Hmm mmm, yeah.” But the croak in my voice didn’t help my case.

She eyed the bouquet in my hands and looked at me questioningly.

“I will explain everything later,” I promised.

She waited for a few beats before nodding her head. Her hug afterward was both tight and free.

“Love you.” She whispered near my ear.

“Love you too.”

I watched as George restarted his car and went along the road. Nick came and stood next to me.

“What did you say?” I asked him silently.

“Said we were going to the police station and wanted to be alone.”

“Are we really, going?”

“Yes, we are. I want to get to the bottom of this note. I will not let someone hurt you again, Jo.” His voice held the emotion he was lacking in his face.