35. I'm trying. I really am.

NICK’S POV

My heart was on my throat as the car swerved off the streets into the main road.

I stood there frozen on the sidewalk as I watched the car zig-zagged to avoid hitting people. My brain kicked in and I immediately started looking around my surroundings and saw a young mom with her toddler getting on a cab.

She saw me running towards her and she immediately put a protective hand around her son.

“Please, can I use the cab instead?” I asked desperately. My eyes were filling as I thought about the horror of losing Jordan to that bastard.

Whatever she saw on my face would have been really sad because she gazed at me with pity and nodded.

“Thank you soo much,” I said and got in the car and closed the door. “Please follow that car,” I said to the driver and pointed at the sedan.

For his credit, he didn’t say anything and took off. I was glad when he started gaining speed on the car. But before we could cross the road, red light stopped us.

I cursed nastily and watched as the numbers dwindle, the driver picked up speed and went straight but after a few seconds, we couldn’t find the Black sedan Brayden was driving.

“I think we missed them.” The driver said.

I squeezed my eyes shut in agony but opened them back right up and scanned the area but other than a parking lot and a people’s center there were no cars speeding off.

“Shit,” I muttered brokenly when I realized this is it. I lost them. Now, Jordan is alone with that psychopath.

“Sir, is there a problem?” The driver asked as he kept his eye on the road.

“I think so, yeah. Just take me to the Tristan apartment near the university.” I said the address of the apartment.

I couldn’t do anything but think of the horrible things Jordan is enduring right now. I last saw his frightened face as he realized who was in the driver’s seat. I would never forget that look or forgive myself if I let something happen to him. I desperately wished that I could find him but I knew that was impossible because, with my frantic need to follow the car, I didn’t even identify the car’s plate number.

I sat forward in the seat so that I could see the driver’s side profile clearly. “Did you at off chance noted the plate number of the car?” I asked my voice border on hopeful.

“As a matter of fact, I did.” He spoke.

“I could kiss you right now. But first, tell me the number.” I demanded.

He chuckled but rattled off the number with precision. I guess it comes with the fact that he drives a taxi and sees many numbers of cases like this and for him remembering numbers like this would be easy.

“Oh my, thank you so much. You helped me a great deal.” I whispered as I screenshotted the number and sent it to as many people as possible because I didn’t want to lose it on the off chance and I engrained the number in my brain.

After a few minutes of random messages saying what that message was for, I ignored it and called Kevin, my teammate.

“Hello.” The groggy voice on the other line picked up after the call rang for a full minute.

“Are you just waking up? Isn’t there a test match right now?” I enquired.

“What are you talking about? There is no match.” He said confused.

“Coach’s assistant called me and said that there was a test match. And he also said that it was a last-minute thing.” I clarified because I was running out of time. The apartment was also nearing. I have to tell him that I could not play in the match today.