38. You're worth everything. And more.

NICK’S POV

I came out of my trance when Jordan was hauled out of the room and when I couldn’t keep an eye on him, anymore.

But before following the paramedics to the ambulance, I gave a fleeting glance to Brayden’s body because I wanted him to stay dead. I don’t want him near Jordan again otherwise I would kill him a hundred more times.

I know I should feel even a little remorse that he’d been killed ruthlessly but all I felt was undeniable happiness that he would not be able to hurt Jordan anymore. Even if it was physically. Because even I knew that Jordan is going to be mentally scarred for his whole life because of this.

Officer Wheland came next to me and ushered me out of the building and towards the now open gate. I didn’t know what I was feeling but it was not exactly numb or relief. Because the bombshell after bombshell dropping at me after I entered the room did not help.

The sight of Jordan’s pale unmoving body and finally realizing that I would not get to hear his wonderful voice again and the clean shot bullet in Brayden’s head was enough to shake me to the core.

I knew the day's events were draining on me because it was almost eight hours of non-stop crying and profuse internal turmoil. But what kept me going with the slight support from Wheland was being with Jordan again.

The ambulance was just inside the gate and the gurney was lifted with Jordan and was inserted into the ambulance.

A pair of headlights flashed against the now-lit ground. There were several flashing lights from the additional cop cars but they were distant from the building from where we found Jordan. But I knew from the SUV that it was Zach and Amelia.

  Presumably, Amelia saw Jordan being bundled up in the ambulance and tore the car door to get to him.

But Zach saw Amelia until she safely got into the ambulance and came in my direction. When he reached me, he held me in a very tight hug and I was grateful for it.

“He’s fine,” I said to ease both of our tension.

“That’s good, little brother.” He said and turned his sharp eyes to Officer Wheland.

He seemed to know what Zach was asking wordlessly because he stated what happened inside. “According to paramedics there is no critical condition to Jordan’s wounds but he still needs to be hospitalized. And as for Brayden, he was shot in the head. A clear shot too.”

Zach’s eyes widened and he looked at me for confirmation and when I nodded my head, he frowned. “What if the assailant had been targeting Jordan?”

I was thankful that he was here and asking the right questions because I would have only had my mind on Jordan and him being still in one piece.

“There is no way that is possible because he was um… tied to the bed and even by the off chance the shooter wanted to get a shot at Jordan again, he could have easily done the job so I am sure that his target had been Brayden.” He waited until the information went into our brains. “I know you guys will have a lot of questions and I want to answer every one of them for you but we have to clear the area and investigate the crime. But you can contact me anytime or come to the precinct.” He said and grabbed both of our hands in a shake.

“Thank you,” I spoke.

“No, thank you for coming in time. I would sleep well knowing that I saved an innocent today.”

  I smiled and nodded at him.

“He is going to be fine, Nick,” Zach said and pulled me into a hug.