50. Oh, shit it's him.

NICK’S POV

I was roused from my sleep when Jordan hefted my head up and placed it on top of a pillow before walking away. I was still half asleep as I changed position to get myself more comfortable on the sofa. I didn’t know what the time was but I still felt bone-tired after the long day of practice.

It was expected after me ignoring playing for weeks. My legs muscles were sole and my shoulders were pulled taut. Even my continuous working out in the gym didn’t help the situation.

I let out a sigh and thought about how good it was to be with Jordan all day even with a small hitch in the day. I considered it a good one.

My eyes flew open from the pleasant thoughts when I heard a clatter near the front door. What was Jordan doing there? I made myself sit up on the couch and called out.

“Jordan? Where are you?”

When I didn’t hear a reply, I got out of the sofa and went towards the hallway which led to the main door. I saw Jordan standing there mutely his face red with…anger? But there was something else too.

Because the door was partially closed, I couldn’t see who it was on the other side. When I saw his phone on the ground, I walked towards him in long strides. I don’t want anyone to hurt him even unknowingly.

He couldn’t be having one of his panic attacks because it had lessened considerably and even stopped after he went to therapies.  I also knew he was not in a trance because he was radiating pain, even though it was not visible. I could see the faint tremble in his hands.

I grabbed his arms and wrenched him to my side when I reached him and pulled the door open all the way. The lady who was standing outside the front door looked familiar but I could get my still half-asleep brain to make the connections. But my suspicions were confirmed when Jordan spoke with a little hitch in his voice.

“What are you doing here, Mother?”

My hands tightened on his arms reflexively and I had to stop myself from closing the door on her face.

“I wanted to see you.” She said wringing her hands.

“Why now,” I asked harshly and pulled Jordan even further towards me. I was shirtless after the shower and Jordan’s thin shirt plastered to my hot skin.

His mother looked between us and I waited for her face to change into disgust because we would have made the absolute picture. I kissed his head for further measures. Because I didn’t want her to come into his life whenever she wants and mess with him.

I had to believe that his routine makes him not lose his mind and now to see that there was an unexpected twist standing on his doorstep, I didn’t know how he felt.

Tears welled up in her eyes when neither of us spoke or acknowledged her presence and when she was about to turn away, Jordan spoke up which most honestly left me reeling.

“Come inside.”

His mother turned towards him with hope shining in her eyes, she immediately nodded and stepped inside. Jordan grabbed my hand and made me move back to the apartment. I mostly just wanted to send his mother on her way home. To where she let her husband nearly beat his only son to death.

Disgusted, I wrenched my hands away from Jordan and made my way to the kitchen.  I wanted to cool myself down before I say something that I would most honestly regret. 

I opened the fridge and took a water bottle out and chugged half of the contents without even minding the chill which sensitized my teeth.

“Do you want something to drink?” I heard Jordan ask. Probably to his mother and a look over my shoulder confirmed that she was sitting on the couch where I was sleeping minutes before on her son’s lap. I wanted to say that to her but bit my tongue at the last minute.