14. Hug me like the night holds the moon.

JORDAN’S POV

       It was surreal watching Nick being so gentle with another person.  It made me want to protect him from everyone around him.  They both looked so vulnerable around each other and it made my heart ache in a good way.

       I was talking with Amelia’s uncle, George.  He was like a confidante for me.  And talking to him was easy but I still had to open up to anybody about anything I have locked within myself for years.  But it was easy to chat about simple things.

      And when I turned around, I saw Nick kneeling in front of the little girl speaking with a gentleness in his tone.  It was not pity or sorrow I saw in Nick’s eyes when he looked at Anna, it was understanding and he was embracing her as his own.

      I took further steps towards a kneeling Nick.  His eyes were captive of mine, the dark grey eyes of his making a prisoner in my own body.  My steps faltered when I saw conviction and desire and something more briming in his eyes.  It made me hesitate because if I chose now then there was no going back.

      When I decided to reach him, Anna came running to him with an excited grin in her face. 

      “Mia said we can watch.”  She said out of breath from running.

       “Perfect.”  Nick said and looked at me.

     I stood there frozen, not quite caught.  Anna looked at me like now only she was seeing me there.

      “I know you.”  She said in a small voice.  My brows furrowed in confusion.

      “Where dear?”

       “In pictures.  I saw all of you guys.  Mia showed me.”  She answered.

       “Oh, did you now?  Why did Mia show you our pics?”  Nick asked.

       “Family.  She showed me that you guys are my forever family.”  Anna’s voice was quite but I could hear her even with the drumming of my heart.

      My eyes stinged not only from the way she said forever but also from how Mia included me in her family.  I felt like I was going to break into two.  We humans never had choice choosing our blood relations but the real choice is when we choose our friends. 

       The chosen family would accept you for who you are and would love you unconditionally even if you think you are not perfect.  And at that moment I wanted to hate my parents but I couldn’t because they don’t know what true love is and I was happy that I did found what that was.  In an unknown city with friends who were closer to me than my own cousins.

       I was startled when Anna touched my knees, I looked down at her and was surprised to find her blurry.  Blinking the tears which were trying to escape I knelt beside Nick.

       “Your hair looks bigger than your ins photos.”  Anna said and touched my curls with her little fingers.  I think she meant puffier.  I didn’t know which photos Mia showed her but I would have probably tamed my hair before taking the pics to make it look good, but now it would be a mess from the travel.

      “You like?”  I asked.

      “Hmm mmm, it’s so soft.”  She murmured and got distracted by a flash.  All of us looked at that direction and saw Amelia with her phone raised and Mia near her with tears brimming in her eyes. 

      Anna giggled and bounced to the sofa. 

      “Would you stop taking photos?”  Nick asked exasperated but then he mock whispered.  “Send them to me.”