42. Hold up, this shit don't add up.

NICK’S POV

Even I can feel Jordan’s pulse rising among the throes of people clicking and talking against each other. I felt his fear and the slight anger at the woman before him as she thrust the mic in his face.

I was about to push her away when her question trapped me in my movements.

“Do you guys know what is happening with Mr. Vargas? You came from inside and you ought to know for what he got locked up.”

I looked down to see Jordan exhale a little. We both thought that the media got a leak on Jordan and that was why they were here.

So, no they did hear about Jordan at all. Fuck. For a second I thought I was about to deck everyone here to safeguard Jo. But I don’t want them to connect any dots back to Jordan. If someone did connect. It was not going to be pretty. Brayden’s death, His dad’s involvement, and what he was searching in the case room. I know for sure that Peter Vargas is not going to be locked up for more than a few hours because he has the power and money to use any lawyer in his arsenal. As he is a client of the firm we work in, I think in disgust.

I focus on the cameras and feigned confusion but before I could even utter one single word, the group scattered. I turned to see a couple of cops exiting the building and like a dog who saw a bone, all the reporters flocked them.

This was my chance, I thought and grabbed Jordan’s hand in mine and practically ran to the parking lot. Jordan was a dead weight behind me and I had to drag him to join me.

Once we were settled inside the car, I exhaled heavily and put the car on the reverse, and hightailed it out of there.

I took my eyes off the road once in a while to check how Jordan is doing. But apart from angling his face away from me so that I could not see him even in the reflection, I didn’t know anything.

His whole body was relaxed but I can see the clench in his jaw once in a while. I gathered enough strength to take his hand in mine for the fear of him rejecting my touch, but he was eager to let me take his hand.

I squeezed it and brought our intertwined hands to the center console and kept it there for the whole ride. The whole drive was spent in silence but it was not suffocating.

“Wait here.” I ordered once I parked the car in a lot of our apartment buildings. I got out of the car and subtly checked our surroundings while rounding the car to reach Jordan.

I opened his door and gave my hand to him. He smirked at me but placed his hand on top of me and I helped him get down. His face contoured lightly in pain but when his feet hit the sidewalk, he considerably relaxed at my side.

“Very gentlemanly of you.” Jordan teased.

“I am always a gentleman.” I countered.

“Huh-uh.” Jordan was smiling when he shook his head and huddled past me to the elevator.

I caught up to him and we both stepped in. But my body jolted when I realized Jordan was no longer smiling and a single drop of tear was hanging on his lashes.

“Hey, baby what happened?” I asked and pulled him into my arms.

He clung to my shirt and looked up at me with the most vulnerable face I have ever seen and something in my heart broke and stitched back together at the same time. I loved that he gave me his whole self without any masks but at the same time, I hated that he was in pain, and not just physical.

“Do you think Brayden’s dad will find me?” His breath hitched when he asked that question.

I hesitated because I can’t promise what I can’t control, but I will promise anything to Jordan to make him feel a little bit lighter. And I know that I will always take a bullet to my chest if it means keeping Jordan safe.