21. For those who believe...

NICK’S POV

        I knew I should have explained first before head butting into my own solution, but I couldn’t stop the tremor in my bones when I heard the rumor.  And I knew then that I should take the matter in my own hands before it got out of hand.

         I wanted to touch my lips to his so badly, that I was leaning in against my will and when Jordan slightly drew back, I was hurt.  I know I should I never do something against his will like Brayden had but I couldn’t control my instincts and urges that said Jordan needed it as much I wanted it.  But I tight lidded my stupid instincts and backed a step but still kept Jordan slightly flushed against my body which was not a standard space for staff to stand together.

       I could hear both Shasha and Lia talking and I knew this news would travel faster than the grapevine rumor because people always believe this two somehow and I knew whatever they said would not be taken lightly.  So, I released my hold on Jordan and took a deep breath.

        I basically abandoned my workstation and took note of where both girls would be wandering to bring Jordan there and my work was successful when they both saw us but I couldn’t get away from Jordan.  The invisible pull seemed to be tighter these days, making me hard to leave him alone.  It didn’t matter many staff members saw us or someone may complain about inappropriate work behavior.  I wanted him.

       I shuffled back and glanced at him to make sure he was safe and was startled by the uncontrolled fury I saw in him.  It jolted a dormant piece in me that I thought never existed.  Adrenaline shot through me when Jordan fisted his hands at his sides as he glared a dagger at my face.  It was exhilarating.  I wanted to basically attack him to the ground to show who was the alpha here.  It was unintendedly primitive.

      I calmed my nerves not to jump him and concentrated on the conversation behind me.  The wildfire started, and I was free to assume that half of the office would know this at the end of the office hours.  It was basically a gossip mill factory.  Lousy fuckers. 

       I followed Jordan as he stormed off to his desk and when I saw him packing his desk, I didn’t hesitate a second as I packed my things into a leather shoulder bag.  I zipped past his empty desk and jogged to the elevator and huffed a frustrated sigh as I heard it close but the elevator near it dinged at the exact moment and I didn’t waste time as I pushed past the staff entering the firm after the lunch break.  Some people glowered at me but others just went away unconcerned.  I pushed the lobby button hard enough to hurt my index finger but managed to keep the pain inside. 

      I was frantically thinking if Jordan would have caught a cab before I went down.  But then I remembered him taking a set of keys from the desk and I filtered my brain and clearly saw that it was a car key.  He was going to the basement. 

      I pushed the button at the bottom of the panel and I waited as the box descended slowly.  I was losing my shit.  I wanted to tell Jordan what I found for him to take his mind off by what I just did.  Nausea rolled through me as I thought what I did was what basically Brayden is doing to him.  But I knew it was wrong.  I was clearly not a stranger and he did not freeze on me like he did whenever Brayden was in the vicinity and I would fucking surely stop if Jordan said no.  I knew the difference and I was not him.

      Reassuring myself I paced a hole in the elevator as I walked the surface.  When the door dinged, I was ready to bolt.  And when I saw people getting on the elevator from the lobby, I pushed through them and ran to the basement steps near the lobby entrance. 

       When I reached the ground floor, I turned to look if I could see the familiar figure.  Enough light to illuminate the otherwise dark parking lot made it easy and when I saw him walking with intent, I shouted.