39. Déjà Vu

JORDAN’S POV

I woke up to a sharp pain in my thigh like it was spasming. I couldn’t look down long enough to say anything because of the stiff bandages wrapping around my torso. But after a few moments, the pain subsided until it was a dull throb. I managed not to wake up Nick in the process.

I felt guilty for not letting him sleep already, so I just made myself comfortable in the hospital bed. I let my mind wander to the unthinkable.

I still couldn’t believe that Brayden was dead.

My mind was still reeling from whatever the fuck happened to me and this was like icing at the top. A few hours ago, I bawled my eyes out to Nick’s soothing whispers.

I knew that everything was thrust onto me in like five minutes of me waking up and the weird stage of feeling numb all over my body because of the sedatives made me lose control. It felt like I was frayed open to anyone to see. It didn’t help that Nick was right beside me murmuring soothing words right by my ear, I wanted to just lay there and lose all of myself.

But I obviously didn’t remember how I fell asleep again but I was happy that I did. Because apart from a zing of pain here and there, I felt good.

Nick’s head was near my hip and his face was facing mine. I could feel puffs of breath coming from Nick’s parted mouth and it gusted right against my fingers like a weird reassurance that he was here.

His fingers somehow were still entwined with mine and I squeezed it. Apart from the light reflex he just continued to sleep.

His presence was so much comforting. To look at his mused hair and hear his light snores even above the beep-beep of my machine. It felt real. That I was not dreaming about being rescued.

When I heard the gunshot, I seriously thought I was going to die and I was prepared for it but seeing Nick here and somehow not get to live with him pulled at my heartstrings.

I saw a movement outside my door and a moment later Zach entered. When he saw me awake, he came right next to me on the other side of the bed.

“How are you feeling?” He asked softly.

“I’m good, teach,” I said with a smile.

He broke into one of his genuine grins. Even though he was not my teacher anymore, I liked to tease him with it. I no longer saw him as an authority figure, just as a mature friend who gives damn good advice.

He pushed my hair out of my forehead. I couldn’t keep the curls out of my eyes because one hand was trapped with Nick’s and the other was full of drip wires.

“Thank you,”  I murmured.

“No problem.” He said and started to say something about Mia and George when Nick woke up and saw his brother. More importantly, saw what his brother had in his hand.

“Is that coffee?” He inhaled deeply. “Yes, it is. Give me that right now.” He demanded.

Zach chuckled and passed it to him above me. “I bought it for you, idiot. So don’t try to choke on it.”

Nick just glared at him and was about to take a sip when he noticed me watching him.

“Oh shit, you are awake.” He said and placed the coffee cup on the stand near my bed and stood up. “Do you need anything? Water? Juice? Some light for breakfast?”

“Sit down, Nick. I am alright.” I reassured but he still didn’t listen so I sternly looked at him, he grumbled and sat down before taking a sip of his coffee and proceeded to spray it all over the air above me.