8. The nightmarish reality.

JORDAN’S POV

      The car ride to the law firm was quiet with a soft music playing in the stereo.  I drank the rest of my juice from the carton and stashed the waste in my bag to throw it in the dustbin later.  I already ate half of the salad box I prepared because I was hungry and now, I was stated and ready to work.

       I relaxed my back against the soft cushion of the car seat and let out a sigh of satisfaction.

      “Are you alright?”  Nick’s gazed flicked to mine for a second before going back to the road. 

      “Yes, why?”

       “Just asking.”

        “I think I feel happy for the first time in a long time.”  I smiled up at him.  Like, why not?

        Nick’s eyes lit up and he gave me a warm smile which had my insides fluttering. 

       “There is more happiness to come.”  Nick said and patted my thigh before placing it on the stick in the centre. 

       My thighs tingled where Nick touched me and I wanted to take his hand off of the gear shift stick and place it on my thigh again.  The words Nick said finally seemed to register my mind because I immediately stiffed up in my seat and all the warmth I felt before disappeared with in seconds.

       Shifting my gaze to the window, I watched the buildings buzzing past us and thought about how happiness never seemed to stick around me.

       There is always plenty of shoes to drop in my life and I didn’t know that one of the many would fall and that too directly at my path.

……

       I somehow kept my jaw closed as I entered the building which seemed to be pristine and glowing in my naked eyes.  The main lobby area of the building had automatic security gates which beeped every single time when there was an access given. 

       People milled around us but I think it was thin compared to normal working days.

       “C’mon.”  Nick urged me near one of the speed gates and pressed his ID there before the machine beeped its acceptance.  I took the ID which arrived in the mail few days back with my acceptance letter, and pressed it in the card reader. 

       The sound of the beep made me feel as if I was moving to another dimension where everything would go like I expect.

       Nick stood there with a big smile on his face like he was excited for me too, and it threatened to make my heart beat insistently.  I joined him with a smile of my own.

        He led me straight into a hallway which was big with six elevators, three in each side of the wall.  Employees were huddled together near the entrance of the lift, some of them were tapping their feet in impatience.  I glanced at the huge clock on the adjacent wall and noticed it was going to be nine.  Nick guided me to the lift which was less crowded compared to the others.  When it slid open, we all entered and both Nick and I chose to stand at the back corner but not before Nick lurching forward to press 22nd button on the lift panel.

        My eyes widened and I looked at Nick in surprise.  I knew that the building was tall but our firm was few floors down from the top of the building according to the panel in the lift.  It was not like I was afraid of heights but still it would be a lie if I said I wasn’t scared a little.  The ride was silent with occasional muttering in the phone by the few other people on the lift.

        Nick and I were the only person in the lift after 16th floor.  I looked at the mirrors surrounding us and couldn’t ignore the tingle in my spine about how good Nick looked next to me.  It was enthralling.  I never want to take my eyes of him otherwise it looked like he would become even more handsome.  So, when he started to speak the tingles spread across my body and made me aware of him, wholly.