48. Unhealthy.

NICK’S POV

We were still in bed when my phone rang.

Jordan was hugging me from the front while I softly kissed his chest. it was comfortable and easy not at all like how I felt a few minutes ago. I know I am suffering from something but that night’s nightmare was so real that I couldn’t tell apart, for a second.

I felt so helpless in that dream. Now, that I knew it was a dream, it was no less daunting. The phone rang again and I grunted as I searched for it in between the sheets.

“Hello.”

“Get your ass over to practice, Wilson.”

It was Adrian and I totally forgot about the deal I made yesterday. I shouldn’t have let Jordan agree to make me go.

I was about to say the same that I had a change of heart.

“No.” Jordan narrowed his eyes at me like he was already figuring out what was going through my head. “He is already up, to whoever it is on the phone,” Jordan yelled and pulled the phone from my hands and hung up.

“Jo…”

“You are going, Nick. You need the semblance of your old life back and I know you are not too worried about the bigots in your team.”

It was true but it didn’t make it easier to know that I would be leaving Jordan here alone. And I hate that my paranoia got the better of me.

“But I can’t be without you right now, baby. I would get anxious and…..”

“Okay, how about I come with you and watch you play?”

My eyes widened and a big smile graced my lips.

“I would absolutely love that.” Because my man watching me play and kick asses would always bring me pleasure.

He chuckled as he got up and brought the tray from the nightstand.

“Here, eat this first. The coffee would have gone cold by now.” He said frowning.

“I don’t care, come.” I pulled him against me and we both ate breakfast right in the middle of the bed, naked and gazing at each other. Nothing could have topped that.

After breakfast, I brushed my teeth as Jordan got ready for our day. When I went back to the walk-in closet, he was not there but I saw an outfit laid out for me. I wore it and packed an extra set in a duffel bag and went out to search for Jordan.

He was standing in the kitchen wearing his trademark long hoodie and a tight pair of skinny jeans. He looked amazing in those so I can’t exactly complain. He was packing something in a brown bag while giving Mimi side rubs.

“What’s in those?” I asked and pointed my chin at the bag.

“Lunch for you… now for us both.” He smiled and wiggled the bag in his hand.

“Come on, we are already late,” I said and snagged his waist and walked towards the door.

“Not me. You are late.”

I chuckled. “Smartass.”

Maybe keeping him at my eye length all the time is wrong and unhealthy but who told you that I take great choices. I just want to get through practice knowing that he was safe and sound next to me.

……

At first, concentrating on the ball showed a bit of a problem, and it was obvious to others because one of the Larson twins started taunting me. I all but plugged him out, the others did not comment anything but would time to time send me a wary look. At one point when some of them didn’t pass the ball in my direction at all, the coach got mad hot.