20. I hope you stay.

JORDAN’S POV

       Laughing with my friends, I relished in the setting sun and the cold breeze on my skin.  It was seven in the evening and our little group just exited the coffee shop where we were all were studying in.  Exams were fast approaching and the stress just doubled for me but times like this only make me appreciate it.  Still, in the corner of my mind, I know that I will never forget or stop fearing the monsters searching for me but a minute of silence was always welcomed. 

         I smiled silently as two of my friends bickered to themselves about an answer to a question but they both were wrong. 

       I wanted to correct them but their bickering was way more fun.  I was walking sideways on the sidewalk watching them and I was about to answer the question when my eyes caught the slowing car behind us.  I squinted at it and saw familiar sunglasses.  Brayden.  My heart stopped for a second but my steps never flattered.  I didn’t want to give him more ammunition than I should so I turned my back on him like I was not affected but only I knew how much of a hardship it was not to bolt right now.

        “Jordan, man, are you alright.  You look a little green.”  Jack commented.  I swallowed hard and put on an effortless smirk.

       “Yeah.  Just under the weather.”

       He left it at that.  I was counting the minutes until I was at home tucked away safely.  My steps flattered now but I managed to keep on walking.  I knew when I thought about home it was never the one my dad kicked out of, but now when I thought about home it was with the memories of Nick with it.  Wow. 

        I banished the thought from my head and inconspicuously turned my head and checked if Brayden was still following me.  I somehow knew he would know my new address.  Because of the power he had on the firm even if it was falsely earned.  He could have gotten access to any information on me if he wanted and that scared the shit out of me. 

        When I neared the building, I calculated in my mind how I would escape him.  Even if the garage was the easiest way to the elevator, I am not going to make the mistake of going into a dark and abandoned parking lot.  This would be the cause of every stupid teenagers’ decision to not get killed or kidnapped.  The only other way is through the lobby and once I reached inside, I knew it would be safe because of the security.  And even if Brayden managed to reach me, I could just run inside.  I knew it was impossible for him to even think about taking me and it could be just a scare tactic he was trying on me but I would have to be cautious on every one of my steps.  

       With that in mind, I said goodbye to my friends and turned around, and jogged up the stairs towards the closed lobby doors.  I looked back when I reached the door and saw Brayden sitting in his car calmly and looked at me with a lecherous grin.

        I puked a little in my mouth but I entered the hallway.  Smiling, that I accomplished something on my own and was aware of my surrounding, I entered the elevator.  I was happy.  Truly happy.  I didn’t know victory at something this small would be this exciting, but it was.

       When I entered the apartment, I made a beeline towards Nick’s bedroom with a huge grin and to tell him what happened.

      I knew he was always worried about me and when I would say about this, he would get worried initially but afterward he would know that I could fend for myself. 

       I went inside and stood inside his room for Nick to notice me but he was mutely sitting on the bed. 

       “Nick?  You won’t believe what I did today.”  I said excitedly.  Nick slowly lifted his chin in my direction.  His gaze was bottomless as he looked at me.  A chill ran through me when he stood up and walked towards me in slow and steady steps.