34. Still reliving this....

JORDAN’S POV

My mind was blissfully calm as I listened to the lecture. There was no reason for me to be helpless anymore and more than that the reassuring way Nick sat next to me with his high-yielding composure made me feel safe. I loved it that he paraded me across the campus with his hands on my waist.

At first, I protested but after one look at the hurt in his face, I tried to take back my words.

I told him that I didn’t want him to be the face of homophobic slurs and if the news travels then his basketball career could be jeopardized but he just took it in the stride and asked me if I was willing to let everybody know that he was mine. And in that growly possessive manner, he asked there were no other words which left my mouth other than ‘yes’.

I hated all the attention which was brought in our direction but I tuned it out and focused on how Nick felt. But he didn’t let any emotion show other than smiling warmly at me.

As the lecture came to an end, Nick passed a paper to me.

I side-eyed him as I opened the note.

‘Wait for me after your last lecture…ily ♡♡’

I smiled to myself as I gave a nod while listening to the professor.

Nick gave me a peck in the cheek before rushing to practice.

Because he missed the summer practice he had to play for long hours and I missed him immediately. He had been a daily fixture in my life for 3 months and without him, I would not be able to do anything properly.

I got up from the bench and moved to the exit. Two strong shoulders bumped me from either side as I crossed the threshold. I barely contained my pained yelp as I glared at the goons. They deliberately smashed me at the same time. Lifting my middle finger at them, I walked by and exited the building.

There was fear in every inch of my bone, forcefully embedded. But I wouldn’t let the world see that too freely.  I know something never changes and homophobic people were one. I just hoped Nick had less of a hassle.

Making my way to the building which conducted many electives. There were fewer students thrumming around the ground. And I made the class as peaceful as possible. It was the only lecture where I attended alone because Amelia had other electives to attend to and Nick had his practice.

While the class itself was pleasant and calm, I had an itching feeling to get back with Nick. I calmed down my nerves and moved all my distractions to an alien place. I lowered my arms from the bench and began taking notes. After that, the lecture flew by because the old professor dissected the main part of the dialects of the English language perfectly and I felt drawn to the way he spoke about ancient English.

After the class dispersed, I talked with the professor for a few minutes about the syllabus and left the class. It took me ten minutes to cross the campus and to the sports building and I saw Nick sitting outside the building in the steps playing with a basketball in his hands.

My lips automatically broke into a huge grin and I strode across the ground to reach him but stopped dead in my tracks when I spied a girl moving towards him and sitting next to him, close. Too close.

I ground my molars and stood there in the shade of the tree as a barrier. Nick looked at her and nodded his head in greeting. I held my breath while that girl snuggled up to Nick’s arm. He remained still as she spoke something to him and when he turned his head towards her, the girl leaned in and kissed his lips.

My breath caught in my throat and tears singed the back of my eyes. But I didn’t look away from them.

A second later Nick reared his head back in disgust and stood up. My heart nearly sang. I knew he would never cheat on me but the old Jordan still had a niggle of fear that Nick would leave him. So, fuck that old Jordan.