40. Comfort and support.

NICK’S POV

I waited until the sedatives to kick in before I left Jordan.

After nearly crying himself to pain, I called in a nurse. She injected medicine into his drips for the pain and sleep. Within minutes his eyes drooped and he was asleep.

I watched him sleep for a few more minutes before dragging myself out of his room. I entered the waiting room and saw Zach and George speaking in a hushed whisper and when they saw me walking into the room, they stood up and came towards me.

“Is everything okay?” George asked.

I know I would have looked like shit. But I didn’t care about anything, because all I could think about right now was that Jordan was safe.

I scrubbed my face with my hands to relieve myself from exhaustion but it didn’t do anything to make me particularly energetic.

“I think so,” I answered and sat down in the nearest chair. Zach and George sat on either side of me and peppered me with questions. I repeated what the doctor said about Jordan’s improvement in his condition. I didn’t sketch out the last part where Jordan was desperate to know that if he was raped. I just said that the doctor didn’t find any signs of physical violation and stopped at that.

We were silent after that. Each one pondering on different thoughts.

It was George who spoke after that. “Why don’t you guys go and take a rest in the apartment? I will be here with Jordan.”

I watched nurses and doctors bustling through crowds of people to get to their job.

“But what about you?” Zach asked.

“I got plenty of rest yesterday. Y’all had to be awake for most of the night, so no worries. I could go rest after you guys come and relieve me.”

“Okay, then,” Zach said and stood up but not before looking at me expectantly.

   It was already nine in the morning and the sedatives they gave Jordan will at least put him down for four more hours if what the nurse said was accurate. So, there is no harm in going back to the apartment to squeeze in some sleep. But I was reluctant to do so, I didn’t want to leave Jordan, only for him to wake up and find me missing. If he needed me.

“Go, Nick. I will take care of him.” George reassured me.

I nodded and followed Zach. We were in sitting in the car after few minutes with a soft song playing in the background. I rested my head against the seat and looked at the passing buildings, unseeing.

When we reached the apartment, I took off to my room, immediately. Hastily taking my clothes off, I went into the cold shower.

I was exhausted beyond belief and the last thing I wanted was to cry. But I couldn’t stop the tears rushing through my cheeks. It was my first real tears after knowing that Jordan was well. The running water hid all the ugly sobs which escaped my mouth.

After a while, I was wrung out. So, I escaped the shower and dried myself with a towel before I tied it on my waist. I just fell on the bed for a few minutes thinking that I could get up and get dressed before sleeping for real, but I didn’t do any of that. I just passed out.

The insistent knocks on the door woke me up.

“Nick? Lunch is ready. Are you coming?” Amelia called out from the other side of the door.

“Yeah.” I rasped out.

I laid on the bed for few more minutes before getting up and changing into a shorts and t-shirt. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I opened my door and entered the living room.