Chapter One

Blurb: When they said machines make mistakes, I didn't imagine it could go as far to admitting a girl to an all boys' school. And I didn't think she'd actually accept, otherwise, this story wouldn't have happened.

__________________________

Sam Lewis 💫

"And I want to see every inch of this house cleaned by the time I'm back!"Auntie shouted before strutting out of the house.

I stared at the pile of clothes she had chucked in the basket for me to attend to. Then my gaze landed on the list of chores she had pasted on the fridge as always.
    About twenty listed chores that I was supposed to complete before she came back home. As I slouched for the mop,a slight headache had started making itself known already as the hunger pangs hit.

Hey.

So this has been my life every time I'm home. Not even a second to myself. When I said I loved being at school instead, some people just don't get it.

School was like my escape.  What I was supposed to call a home felt like suffocation – like prison.

I didn't waste an ounce of time in applying to the university, right after graduating from highschool. In fact I couldn't wait to be admitted fast and leave this bore–hole.

Oxford university has always been my dream school and with my grades, I'm soo positive they'll call me soon for admission. Then I'll get outta this place ASAP because I very much want to keep my sanity.

 My aunt is a total perfectionist and she never gets satisfied with what you do no matter how hard you tried. Criticism is her talent. Swears.

  It was late in the afternoon by the time I'd finished cleaning the house.

Famished and exhausted had sketched it outlines on my face. I reheated last night's soup, feeling myself sigh contendedly at the aroma. I don't know if it's just me but leftover foods just seem to get even tasty than the way they were a day before.

Maybe it's just me.

I settled on a chair, picking up my phone which had been ringing. The caller ID just made me smile. "Heyy."

"Heyy Sam! Guess what? Ox– shit, good afternoon, how are you?"

I shook my head. This girl. "I'm okay, yourself?"

"I'm fantastic! I'm on cloud nine as I —"

"Ivy, relax and talk to me."I was about to facepalm before I remembered I had a spoon in hand. "What is the good news?"

"Yes! Drumroll please. I just got admitted to Oxford university!!"

"Woohoo!"I cheered on with her, pushing my bowl aside,"you mean, Ivy Thompson is almost an Oxfordian?"

    "Absolutely!! Sam I'm so happy, you know, this calls for celebration..."

A slight frown slipped into my expression. Um, wait. We applied on the same day and at the same time... how is it that she's been notified and I haven't been?

    "I can't believe I'll be going to London, liiike, I can't wait to tell my dad! Just imagine me coming back from UK with the British accent. I'll be so hot!"Ivy continued on.

I put her on speaker, quickly checking Gmail for any new message from Oxford. Apart from the first message they sent me a month ago; Dear SAM, thank you for submitting your Oxford application. You may still make a change to your submitted information until the application deadline is due. There was nothing else. I hadn't heard from them since.

"... and we'll go shopping, heard the weather at England is chilly around this times..."Ivy was still rambling, oblivious to the fact that I wasn't paying attention.

Sigh, maybe they'll call me tomorrow. All is not lost yet.

"Hey! Helloo? Sam are you still there?"

"Hello, uh– yes,er... you were saying?"

"You weren't following."Ivy trailed quietly. "What's wrong dear?"

  "Oh nothing,"I forced a strained chuckle,"I was just assuring myself about also getting admitted soon."

"Uh-oh, they've not called you?"

     "Nerh."I tried not to sound overly frustrated. Tried being the keyword here.

"Aww I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to talk your ears off like that, I literally thought you had also been admitted already."

  I sighed.

"Don't worry they'll notify you soon okay? I'm certain on that. Your grades are just the perfect type Oxford wants. They will admit you."

     "Thanks for the encouragement, Ivy."

"Anytime." We talked some more and to be honest, even though I was happy for her, I couldn't ignore that lurking feeling of negativity for me.

After Ivy hanged up, I dragged myself from the living room to finish the last bits of chores.
I plugged in my earphones, and went about my work like I had rehearsed it.

I sauntered to my room afterwards to take a much needed bath.

I won't hold it against you right now if you're holding your breath behind the screen. I reek of rotten egg as I speak considering I've been sweating about all day.

I turned on the faucet, going under the shower with the main objective being to get rid of this puke–worthy stench and adopt the alluring scent of my vanilla scented soap.

Ah,who knew bathing could be such comforting?

It's official, I'll be having my bath three times daily from now onwards.

  I pulled a baggy t-shirt over my head paired with some loose shorts and strode out to make supper.
It was half past five, won't be long before my aunt came back from work or wherever she went and be yelling for her food.

God, I really pray Oxford admits me or,if not them at all, any other school will do. As long as it grants me out of here, I'll be fine. Too bad I got all hopes placed on Oxford.

I was in the middle of frying some minced meat when I heard the doorbell.
And as expected, it was my aunt.

     "Get me some food, I'm starving,"Auntie snapped immediately I opened and brush past. Well, good evening to you too.

I suppressed an eye roll and shut the door. After placing her shoes at the right place other than on the doormat she had kicked them on, I skipped to the kitchen to continue my former activity.

"Better watch what you're doing Sam, I wouldn't take it lightly if you served me with any burnt stuff,"she bellowed from the living room.

I huffed and took my focus back to the onion I was dicing, blinking my eyes rapidly. Ugh, onions.
The only good onion is one on a plate.

~~~~

The next morning found me in a hyper state.

I never got a mail. Like, never. Today was an exception, I gotta put it on record. I mean that's not the main reason of my excitement but upon seeing the letter I've been waiting anxiously for, I couldn't be happier. Aw, I knew Oxford was gonna visit me todayy.

I plopped on my bed and took a deep breath, taming my giddy self as I set to read the good news in my hands. Or so I thought.

Unfortunately...we had a really complicated problem.

________________________