Chapter Fifty-four

Sam Lewis.😚🌞

Rise and shine babe. ⏰

I woke up to the sound of birds perking at my window and my alarm's signature tone. I fumbled for it, shutting it off as I slumped back in bed.

Deciding not to ignore my stomach's persistent rumbling anymore, I threw the covers off me, slinging my legs over the bed as I stretched to my full height.

I slouched to the bathroom to clean my face and teeth when I heard bickering voices of my aunt and someone else. I shrugged, imagining it was her husband who had returned and she was distressing him as usual. I gurgled the water out of my mouth and scooped some over my face, staring at my reflection in the mirror.

My bed hair was in every direction, my brown eyes staring back at me. I frowned slightly.

Auntie used to say I didn't resemble my mom in the slightest bit so I assumed I inherited my features from him but focusing intently at myself, I realized I was more of mother than I have ever imagined. Her high cheeks, her eyes, her curly hair, her bust... I looked exactly the carbon copy of her youth.

Only that my mom was rather on the cutest side of height. I must have inherited the height from Mr. Lewis.

I left the bathroom, walking in on my aunt who was shouting at someone at the porch.

   "We don't want his dirty money. Tell him! I've catered for her ever since, even at the time, my husband wasn't working. It's not now that things are going well for us that he can come and insert himself and lure us!"

  "Please, I'm just a messenger..."

I looked at the poor guy who was trying not to show his irritation as Auntie was descending heavily on him.

"Auntie, what's going on?"I asked, stepping down.

"Ah, you're awake. Your poor excuse of a father has sent this boy here to give us some goods and money as if we told him we're living in poverty!"

She said the 'goods' as if it were yucky.

"All your life, haven't I be providing for you? Haven't your uncle and I assumed all that responsibility? Then you pop–in  later in life and say you want to help us– a cheek of it! Tell him to spend his filthy money alone! If he wants to make us rich, he's got to work for it."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, letting my eyes scan the large knapsack the messenger had brought with him and loaded envelope in hand.

"Mr. Lewis sent you?"

He nodded,"yes ma'am. I assume you're his daughter? He mentioned you didn't want to see him anytime soon and thus sent for me to deliver these to you instead.–"

"If he was a proper MAN, he'd have come instead. Does he think we're dying of hunger over here?!"

"Madam... with due respect, I don't like the attitude you're showing towards me. I am just a messenger. Do you have a feud with me? I'm just doing my job, besides all these are for the master's daughter, not you. So I don't get why you're fussing that much."

If she was surprised of his boldness to talk back at her, she didn't say. Auntie looked him up from head to toe, her lips in a scowl.

"What a pity. You're lucky you're just a messenger. As for that Don Lewis, he'll hear from me. Hmpf!"

She left us, banging the door behind her.

I cringed, steering back at the messenger.

"Uh.... sorry for my aunt's misbehavior. She's like that to everyone, don't take it too personal."