Chapter Ten

Sam Lewis 💫

We were all seated at homeroom at the said time. (as in all freshmen)

The authorities had not yet attended to us and so as you'd expect, there was a little noise and chattering. I was just among the few students who were seated quietly with their hands in between their legs, looking like rain drenched chickens about to be slaughtered for Christmas.

Samuel was sitting on my left, and I listened in boredom to his endless chatter with the auburn haired guy beside him. The rest of my roomies were spread out somewhere at the back of the room. I took my specs off to wipe it and put it back on.

The noise deadened when a familiar sound of footsteps announced itself.
The auburn haired guy was so into the chatter, oblivious to the sudden silence. 

"Shush, headmaster's approaching."

The footsteps got nearer and soon, the bald headed man in crisp Armani suit came into view. His head was glistening from the bounce of sun rays like a burnished leather.

.

  "Yeah, good morning to you all,"the headmaster said in a booming voice.

    "Good morning, sir,"we chorused.

"You're all welcome to Noble boys academy!"

       "Thank you!"

He proceeded to make mention of the code of conduct and how discipline was their hallmark.

After thirty minutes of his speech, we were asked to group according to our preferred courses. I opted for a business course instead of the art course they had wanted to offer me.

At my age, I had still not graduated from my two years old drawings and still represented my human drawings with lines for hands and legs,dots for the eyes and a big zero for the head.

I'm artistic like that.😌

After we filled the necessary forms, we were given timetables and our course outlines for the semester. Other professors of the school came in to speak regarding everything we had to know about the school. It got really boring at a point.

  "We'll pause here so that you guys can go stretch your legs,"Professor Williams finally announced.
I was amongst the population that sighed in relief cuz we had been sitting for close to three hours.

  "There'll be a talk show and seminar at 2PM. Good morning teachers, good morning students."

We scraped our chairs back and forth with respect to our dispersal.

   "Sam!"

I recognized the voice, craning to catch his glimpse. Samuel waved to get my attention.

A mass crowd was separating us and because of the noise too, I couldn't make coherency of what he said.

"What did you say?"I shouted back,"I CAN'T hear you."

   "Ma guy move!"an athletic built guy yelled making me jump out of skin.

I gulped, sending Samuel a sign that I'd be outside waiting.

Before I knew it, the guy had shoved me out of his path, sending me stumbling over someone's foot.

  "Hey careful,"the person I stumbled over grabbed my elbow to steady me. "Thanks!"I said before glancing up.

My brows furrowed. This was... Jordan's twin!

The guy did a double take at me and then realization crossed his face.

   "Hey I've seen you before. You're the guy we met infront of the accountancy yesterday?"

   "Yeah, yeah,"I bobbed my head up and down while I made mental notes of their differences. Their voice and accent. This one got thick prevalent Brazilian accent while Jordan's was American.

  "Jordan rooms with you?"

"Yeah yeah." Their scent.

"Kay sure. I'm the senior twin by the way. Name's Jude."

   "Yeah yeah." Their hair. This one's was a lighter shade.

   "Hello?"Jude clicked his fingers infront of me.

    "Yeah?"I snapped my head towards him.

  "You've said that like five times in a row,"he chuckled,"anyway I asked for your name..."

I stopped walking when we were out of the hall.

  "I'm Sam,Sam Lewis."

"Okay, nice to meet you man,"he stuck his fist out.

I stared at it like it was strange.

  "Fist bump? Or you prefer handshakes?" Jude looked over in puzzlement.

I observed my hand and compared it to his. My wrist and palms were much smaller. He might notice.

So instead, I patted his shoulder.

   "Nice meeting you,man. Thanks for the save too."I gesticulated.

   "No biggie, that guy was being a total douchebag,"Jude shook his head.
He was about to say something else when his gaze shifted to my side and an easy smile registered his lips. "Yo bro!"

I turned just in time to see him do a rehearsed   fist bump with Jordan, finishing it off with a bro hug.

Jordan darted at me,"hey boy."

    "Hey."

"Up for some meal? Where are you headed to?"

I shrugged. "Maybe I'd go back to the dorm. I'm waiting for Samuel."

"Okay, see you around,"he patted my shoulder, switching back to Jude as they moved away.

I might have zoned out at their retreating figures coz the next thing I heard made me shriek.

"Boo!"Samuel screamed close to my ear.

"Ugh, where at all are you from?"I elbowed him, placing a hand on my chest.

"Gotcha!"he chuckled obnoxiously, looping his arm around my shoulder. "Where are we going?"

"To eat. Aren't you hungry?"I casted a side glance.

"I am! I'd kill for a whole human right now if I was cannibalic. Let's go to the school's restaurant?"

I looked at him confusedly. "Hasn't the school gotta kitchen?"

   "Yeah it has, apparently, every floor shares a kitchen but I learnt they barely use it."

"Does it function? And are we allowed to use it?"

He made an affirmative response at the back of his tongue. "It's just the boys don't normally cook. I've just seen a few people heat water in there that's all."

I nodded with my lips pursed. "You know...why don't we just prepare something ourselves? Rather than buying junk? To cut down cost, you get?"

Samuel stopped dead in his tracks.

"You can cook?"

"Yeah."I glanced at him confusedly.

   "For real?!"

I gave him an absurd look. What was so surprising...

Ah...yes! I get, it's kinda rare finding guys who cook.

Yikes...is he suspecting me? My eyes widened. Before I could backpedal, Samuel beamed so brightly

"That's so good man! You can cook! Yes, yes, yes! God answered my prayers. I really wanted one of my roommates to be a genius at the kitchen." He fist pumped in the air.

Good,he no suspect.

"Okay uh, let's go to the kitchen..."

"Exactly! Let's move to our floor's kitchen and set the ball rolling!— uh hold on man,"he paused, scratching the back of his head.
"I'm as useless as a torchlight without battery when it comes to cooking."

I softened at his slightly flustered self. "Don't worry man, you wouldn't have to do much."

______________________