Chapter Twenty-one

Sam Lewis(emoji free)

I yawned, covering my mouth with the back of my hand. I was trying to pay attention to the lecturer even though my mind was wandering off.
I was regretting staying up late yesternight.
Assuringly enough, after this lecture, I'll have three hours to myself before my next lecture.

"Can I see your notes?"the dark skinned guy beside me asked, craning his neck.

"I wrote in shortcuts,if only you'll make meaning of it."I say, passing him the book. He thanked me, pausing to read over before taking his pen.

"Mr. Lewis and Mr. Sackey, would you care to explain to the class the topic of your conversation?"

I stiffened, raising my gaze to the lecturer. He knew my name?
I glanced at the guy the same time he did.

"Sir,"the guy began,"I was asking Lewis for his notes."

"Where is yours?"He inquired, folding his arms as he continued to give us the stern look.

"I... I mean I was asking for his notes to copy."Sackey stammered.

"While I'm in class? Look, I won't have you or anyone for that matter, disrupt my class do you understand? If you're living with that fantasy as long as you're in university you're free to do what you want,then I'm sorry to break this to you that this school won't tolerate your nonsense! This should be your first and last time you ever talk without permission in my class. Have I made myself clear?"

   "Yes sir."Sackey and I said unisonally.

The stares of over one hundred and fifty people in the hall could be felt as I swallowed the abrupt embarrassment at being called out. It was enough to wipe the remnants of sleep from my eyes.

***

I was on my way to the hostel when I heard my name.
I turned, brows furrowing. Apart from my roommates, I hadn't made much friends, I'm as good as invisible in the school. I hope.
I almost exhaled tiredly and turned on my heels when I saw who called.

"What is it?"I couldn't stop myself from scowling.

Connor shoved me hard on the shoulder."You're difficult to locate sometimes, aren't you?"
I folded my arms, stifling the urge to yawn again.

"I've got work for you boy, finish this before the close of the day."

I stared down at the booklet he held out to me, obviously his assignment, and stared back at him.

He must think I wash my face upwards.

"See Connor, I don't know what exactly attracted you to me or why you want to stress me out with any least chance. But I will not do your assignments for you. I did not come schooling for your sake."

He mustn't have expected this as he stared blankly at me. Maybe he thought that little arrangement he did on my face will make me cower before him.

I gave him a last look before stepping ahead and going my way.

"You're gonna regret this Sam. No fucking person refuses me."he said calmly.

I ignored the threat in his voice, knowing he just wanted to instill fear in me.

"Ain't I honored to be the first person? Do whatever you want Connor. I'm not gonna be your nerd or whatever the fuck you want me to be."

I only breathed out when I was out of his sight, entering the main gate of Gentility House.
What have you done! What have you done!?