Chapter Sixteen

Sam Lewis 💦

The weeds made crunching noises under our feet with every step we took.

And there was the chirping of the crickets, interrupting the silent night, and the once-in-a-while hooting that could only belong to dem owls.
Jude kept glancing behind his shoulder every now and then as he doubled his steps.

I didn't ask why coz I figured from his body language not the perfect time to talk now.

I ducked just in time before the pointed branches could struck me in the head. If not for now, I didn't know a forestlike place like this existed in the school.

After leaving the bathroom, I had followed Jude out of the school site, rounding the hills that separated the dormitories from the convent.

We passed through the convent before arriving at our present location and with that,we had to be very swift when taking that route because no one other than the nuns were allowed to use the path.

And we had been walking briskly like that for the past minutes. I kept wondering if we were still at Noble boys academy or we had just stepped into Tarzan's forest when walking further, the bushes cleared allowing me to view the serenity of the lagoon ahead.

Stretched out wide and the moonlight casting a sort of sparkly effect on the surface of it.

I was too concentrated, admiring the lagoon and the plants around to notice the sudden slopeness of the ground we were walking on.

I lost my footing.

My body came rolling down like potatoes out of a sack as I let out a terrifying scream.

  "Sam! You okay over there?" Jude shouted from a distance.

  "So damn fine!"I wheezed out, internally groaning at the sharp pain on my chest caused by pricks of the useless rocks and gravels spluttered on the ground.

Such a clumsy me!

   I struggled to sit up, wincing again at the pain that shot.

    "Here,"I didn't realize when Jude got to my side and stretched out his hand to me. "Boy, you hurt?"

  "Oh nah, I'm okay."I strained a brief smile, grabbing his hand and he pulled me up.

Jude didn't look convinced though as his eyes looked over me.

"Are we there yet?"I asked, to switch topics.

  "Yeah, let's go. He's over there."

My eyes followed his pointed finger but I could see nobody. Just a couple of shaded trees.

  "I can't s..."I squinted my gaze when it formed a male figure, some meters away from us.
   "Is that..."

Jude nodded to my uncompleted question.

"That's him. This has been his haven since."

I followed him quietly as he made steps to his twin brother.

Said guy was propped on one broad branch of the large tree, his head bowed, shoulders slumped and legs suspending loosely. He was as still as a statue.

  "Hola Jordy!" Jude called, proceeding to climb the tree. I stood nervously at the bottom, giving them their privacy as they interacted with each other. I would've tried eavesdropping but I couldn't make sense of the language they were speaking.

  "Esqueça isso Jordan,já aconteceu. Seguir em frente com sua vida–"

  "Me deixe em paz." I heard Jordan say in a very low tone.