Chapter Fifty-three

Sam Lewis.

My father stared at me with a sunken expression after I was done speaking.  I indiscreetly checked my message box, replying to Ivy's message that I was fine and hadn't been kidnapped which immediately got me heart emojis from her and a hug.

I cleared my throat to fill in the silence.

Had he zoned out? I learnt some people had this talent of falling asleep with their eyes wide open.

His heavy sighs cut through the silence, I watched as he lay his forehead on the steering wheel, seemingly battling with himself.

After a while, he found his voice.

"I deserve your bluntness. What I did was unforgivable and unforgettable. It is hard, what you're demanding. But I can't go back on my word. If that's what you want... I can't block your happiness. I'll let you be...as possibly as I can. But I can't continue to let your aunt and uncle do my responsibilities. At least, allow me to cater for your financial needs. That's the only way I'll be able to sleep at night knowing my daughter is not struggling to make ends meet."

I glanced out, resting the side of my head on the window.

I wouldn't make his tear filled eyes break my resolve.

"Do as you wish, Mr. Lewis. As long as you wouldn't come crawling in my life and reminding me of heartaches. Can I go home now?"

He rubbed his eyes with the back of his palm, taking a minute to compose himself.

"Yes,I'll drive you home dear."

                            🚗🚗

The faint sound of music had me figuring Auntie's party was still on going. The car stopped and I quickly undid my seatbelt.

I opened the door and paused, feeling the need to get those words out of my chest.

"I'm grateful you agreed not to force yourself on me. I wish I could say I've forgiven you... but I've done enough lies for this year already and I'm calling it quits. Grudges are not my thing, so... just know that I'll eventually forgive you. Safe drive."

Before I could step out, he gave me a little shock, engulfing me in an unsuspecting side hug. I tensed but allowed my palm to stiffly pat him on the back as my body relaxed.

"Thank you my princess, thank you."

He straightened up, peering at me dearly with the telltale sting in his eyes. He was such an emotional mess.

"Thanks, Samara. I wish this won't be my last seeing you."

***

The living room had practically been transformed into a drinking spot when I got home. Broken bottles everywhere, the scent of alcohol lingering in the air.

Don't even get me started on the group of adults huddled on the sofa and snoring their butts off. The alcohol was obviously taking it's toll on them.

I cupped my nose, taking careful steps so that I didn't get pricked by any broken glass.

  "What a mess!"I muttered, getting a broom and dustpan from the kitchen.

I digged my feet into some old wellington boots I found at the corner and matched towards the music box, shutting it off.

Okay, time to kick some unscrupulous arses.

There were five adults in all, including Auntie.

One middle aged woman with pink ombre hair and three other grown men, one was on the verge of falling off the sofa with an empty vodka bottle in hand.