Chapter Forty-eight

Sam Lewis 💫

I was left with no other choice than to take back my lies and tell them the truth. I couldn't find any believable alibi to make and I didn't want to make everything fucked up than it already was.

Which was why after the headmaster hanged up and my aunt and uncle looked at me with questioning gazes, eyebrows raised, I defeatedly began narrating my story.

Everything they needed to know to answer their unasked questions.

From Oxford not admitting me to the wonder admission letter I got from the school to how I decided to give it a shot, plus the disguise and how later my secret was revealed.

Uncle was silent throughout the narration and so was Auntie, apart from the rude comments she'd slide in occasionally .

Their facial expressions swapped from disbelief to curiousness, horror and poker face until I was done speaking.

I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear.

"So... yeah, that was how I got to escape from the school."

Uncle was looking at me with downright disappointment.

"You lied to us, Sam. How could you? How could you do that? Why didn't you inform anyone before leaving for that boys school?"

   "Hmph! Didn't I say? I've always known she was a psycho! What kind of sane person will make such a decision? and you didn't even have the common sense to inform an adult! You just wake up and be making your own foolish decisions."

I stared at the floor in defeat.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be rebellious... I... I really didn't want to stay home. I wanted to go to school."

    "Rubbish! If you wanted to go to school and the school you applied for didn't admit you, don't you have to wait for the next year to apply again? What if school is not even your calling?"

"Was it only Oxford you applied for?" Uncle questioned, interrupting her. I nodded.

"Alright, Clara, give me one good reason why I shouldn't put half of the blame on you for all this."

Auntie became a fish out of water, flickering back and forth her husband. "Excuse you? Did I hear you right ?"

   "How could you watch for her to place her hopes in just one school? Didn't you have to make her apply for other alternatives in case Oxford didn't work?"

She threw her hands in the air without saying anything.

"And let's even come to this, she brought you requirement papers to sign and write down your address, telephone number and stuff the school were requesting right? Should I be surprised you actually inputted everything without knowing the school she was going to?"

Fair point, uncle,fair point.

She fumbled for words and then threw her hands in the air exasperatedly again. "How do you expect me to know! I gave her money to buy forms for Oxford not some dumb boys university! So I of course assumed it was from Oxford!"

"You are one to talk of dumbness when it was you who signed your consent for her! Did you even skim through? Cause if you did, then I need to question your reading ability."

Auntie paced the kitchen, stopping in front of the counter where she pulled hard at the ends of her hair.

Uncle scoffed.

"Shame. This shows how little you care for your niece. If you really did care about her, you'd have read every single detail before taking a pen to sign."