Chapter Forty-nine

Sam Lewis.

Pin– drop silence. Deafening silence.

"What?"I chuckled, glancing from the said man to Auntie.

"Are you trying to pull my legs?"

"Hell,no! This is your biological father,your crazy father who thought it wise to abandon you because he had wanted a male child instead. Such stupidity and unprecedented foolishness! Your level of discrimination is so very alarming."

I paused, sniggering half-heartedly like this was a joke. I shook my head, turning to face the man,"you... my father?"

To my horror, he raised his eyes that had wrinkles at the outer corners, peering at me with turquoise orbs.

He nodded, his eyes softening.

"I am your dad, princess. I'm sorry, I know this is a wrong timing and wrong place but if you'd hear me out..."

"No, no, no,"I clicked my tongue, stepping back. "You can't be my father. No way."

This better be a joke. I wasn't ready to face this.

He stepped forward,"my princess... I know you need a lot of explanation. I will give it to you, and anything you ask for. I just–"

"Please leave."the words fell out of my lips.

Why did my happy moments always have to be ephemeral?
Of all days, he chose to appear in my life today?

"W-what? But I can't just leave you? I came here because of you... how can you tell me to leave just like that? Have mercy on your dad, my princess."

"Nonsense!"Auntie spat, the gobble landing on his polished shoe.

"Did you show her mercy in the first place? Don't expect to get something you never gave back."

"I'm here to make amends, Clara."

"That should've been done a long time ago! You're too late for amendment."

"Mrs. Haven, you must calm–"

"I will hit your mouth if you don't get your fucking hands of me, Edward!"she snarled.

"Do you think what your elder brother did is forgivable!"

Elder brother?

I gulped, glancing at Mr. Edward. "He is your brother?"

He confirmed with a nod, lips pulling to a sad smile.

"Yes dear, you were my niece all along. My sobrinha."

No, no, I think I'm gonna bite my own head off now.

"This is surreal!"I mumbled, clasping my forehead,"first, I get a wonderful scholarship to my dream school and I'm on cloud nine,then next, I'm meeting my father face-to-face for the first time in ages and as if more secrets couldn't get unraveled, I find out the assistant headmaster is my uncle? What other things don't I know?"

"My princess, I promise I'm gonna explain every—"

   "I am not your princess. Quit calling me that and please leave." I felt the beginnings of a breakdown as I rubbed my temples.

This is too much.

"I can't—"

"Leave. Or else I will." I fixed my glare elsewhere, clenching my jaw.

"Alright... I'm going for now. Here's my card, you can bell me later so we talk."

  "And what makes you think she would? You're still as arrogant as I knew, you've not changed. Not even in the slightest bit. Excuse us!" Auntie seized me by the wrist, pulling me along with her.