Reading Helps

"And cheers, to the pour soul we lost today." The voodoo queen continues.

You make yourself visible which makes Marie and Fiona whip their heads around.

"What poor soul?" You ask intently before backing up, "I mean, I know of multiple souls dying but not a singular one."

"How were you here all this time, huh?" Fiona asks but you ignore her and look to the side of your eyes and at Marie.

Marie was gripping her cup and looking down. What was she hiding?

"Nan"

"Nan?" You raise your eyebrows, completely shocked. How had she died? I mean she was depressed about Luke but you never thought she would've killed herself over it. She must've been murdered.

"I was just minding my own business and going for a shower and I found her body lying the bathtub.. motionless" Marie says, looking at Fiona cautiously. Almost as if she was making it all up.

You just sigh.

"These past few days have been full of death"

"I agree, it has to stop" Marie declares.

"We should get on with it now. Hmm?" Fiona adds. In a way, you think she was telling you to go away. So you do.

You liked Nan. She was a little intimidating and annoying but she was the only innocent person in the house. The only one who hadn't killed.

"Zoe?" You say as you see your friend striding across the hall and into the library.

She turns her head around and smiled. It was genuine.

"Y/n!" She remarks and gives you a tiny wave. "You've slept in for-everr" She over enunciated the last word with a grin and turns away to go into the library.

As it turns out, you do miss out on a lot if you sleep in extra hours.

She looked far too happy to know that Nan had died recently but you didn't feel like telling her.

You had to though.

You follow her into the library and pretend to be interested in the first book you could find.

Transmutation: the basics.

After flicking through the first pages, you realised the book was actually worth a read so you slipped it into your pocket and smiled at Zoe who was reading a similar book except it was on Concellium.

"Reading helps." She says grinning still. "It helps you learn more. Look what I learnt"

You just stare at her as she focused on the book in her hand. Slowly but steadily, the book began to.. flutter. It slowly lifted itself into the air and hovered there.

"Wow!" You smile at her and raise your arm for a high five.

She hadn't taken her focus from the book.

"Good" She added in attempt to rejoin the conversation but she wasn't paying enough attention.

It slightly agitated you in a way that made the words slip from your mouth.

"Nan is dead."

Thud.

The book was on the floor.

Authors note: wow, 800 reads thats amazing. Thanks for you voters again. Sorry my writing hasn't been all that recently so I hope this chapter is good.