Entrance Fees

The Cortez reeked of depression, sadness and more depression.

It was a real shame since the actual hotel was a masterpiece. The walls were a lovely crimson colour, almost like blood but more majestic. The carpets were patterned and very soft and the posh chandeliers hung as if they were trying to commit suicide.

"Isn't this wonderful." You say, you weren't even sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

Queenie nodded but Misty looked frightened.

"T-This place stinks of d-death." She says, pointing a shaky hand at the walls accusingly.

Queenie tried to give her a reassuring grin but when Misty wouldn't move, all she did was wrap her arm around her back and drag an unmoving Misty Day across the foyer.

On the other hand, you strode across the open room. Almost as if you were absorbing every once of pain this place had created and thriving on it.

"Hello! What can we do for you today?" A well dressed bald woman was waiting at the reception desk. She smiled friendly but also sympathetically, as if she knew that something bad was going to happen to all of you. This made you freeze for a second but when you started talking, all previous suspicions just faded away.

"Hey! Can we have three rooms, preferably next to each other if that's possible." You say, passing her an £100 note.

"Thanks but it's only £75 for the three of you." She says, chewing some spearmint gum whilst giving you the change and room keys.

"No," You grin at her, refusing the cash and pushing it back to her confused face, "It's a tip."

The once the woman heard these words, she returns your gracious smile and counts the money eagerly, "Thank you so much!"

You slide the three room keys from the table. 61, 62 and 63. You stride to the front of the lift where Queenie and Misty were waiting. Misty was biting her nails again.

"Here are your room keys!" You say, handing them their keys enthusiastically in a sing song tone. "Sixty one for you, Sixty two for you and sixty three for me!"

The lift dings and comes to a holt as the old shutters crank open and to your surprise, you realised that the silent hotel actually had residents.

A blonde young woman stepped out of the elevator. She was wearing a remarkable red dress that had a stunning yet intricate pattern marked across it and an old fashioned yet modern ring that looked as sharp as a knife.

You shivered as her cold eyes that were somehow full of desire met yours before reverting back to the hotel exit where, assumably, her  boyfriend was waiting for her.

Misty, Queenie and you step into the lift and the moment that the doors shut behind you and the machine whirs into motion, Queenie starts talking.

"She looked like some crazy bitch."