Blood

You fiddle around for the light switch and once you finally find it, it doesn't switch on immediately.

The light blinks, creating a flash of light which reveals a bloody corpse before returning into darkness once more.

The light blinks again, showing the body's blonde yet blood soaked hair.

You wouldn't have been surprised if this was the girl that James Patrick March killed right before your eyes.

Except if couldn't be because when the blood dripped onto your hand, you noticed the red sticky liquid was fresh and warm.

The light blinked on once more, filling the attic with complete brightness.

But you wish it hadn't since the sight was enough to make you cry.

Misty Day lay there in a crumpled heap.

Now that you could see her body, you could detect only a small proportion of her life force was still inside of it.

But she was a fighter.

She was fighting so hard to stay alive.

You look down at the bottom of the ladder to the countess who stared back at your shocked face, completely unaffected by it.

"Why'd you do it?" You ask, deciding it was a good idea to distract the countess whilst you muttered 'Vitum Vitalis' as quietly as humanly possible.

To be honest, asking her why was a fair question since she hadn't actually drank much of her blood.

"Why didn't you drink her blood?" You ask again, afraid that she didn't hear you, or maybe even afraid that she would hear your incantations.

"Mmm, her blood was weak," The countess says, rolling her tongue across her white, pearly teeth.

"Yours," she says, staring at you with that same terrifying glare, "is much stronger."

You shiver but return back to staring at Misty's body.

'Vitum Vitalis, Vitum Vitalis, Vitum Vitalis'

Suddenly, Misty's body shook into life.

She sat up and inhaled deeply.

The countess was completely shocked at the 'miracle' you had just completed.

You took this as a good time to shove her backwards, away from the ladder with your mind and close the attic door behind you.

"Y/n? Y/n? Where am I?" Misty's frightened voice filled the attic, along with scratching noises that the countess made, trying to pry the attic door open again.

"Don't worry about it, we're in the Cortez, we will get out soon, I promise!"  You try to reassure Misty but it wasn't enough.

She was completely shocked by her own blood covering the room and that she was still in the Cortez.

She fainted.

"No, Misty, No!" You yell, cupping her pale face in your hands.

You completely forgot about the trapdoor opening and you completely ignored the countess's curiosity towards what was going on.

"Y/n?" The countess says calmly.

You are startled, but you are still ready enough to push her back down the ladder; or even kill her.

You didn't though.

"I'll make you a deal." The woman continues.

"Misty can go free, go home and whatever," The countess says, not breaking eye contact with you. She looked like a hungry beast ready to pounce on its prey, "but you, you have to stay with me in the Cortez. Forever."