Part 5 - Training

"Now kick it back!" Jamie yelled, and I kicked it weakly to him. After 2 hours of this torture, I couldn't take it anymore. We were getting nowhere. I sat down on the pitch, defeated. I had to be good at football by next week or Michel (Raymondo Bernard's son) would take Jamie's place on the team.

"You can nearly kick a ball somewhere." Jamie said sitting down next to me.

"Oh ha ha." I said sarcastically.

"Seriously though Bella, you're better than when we started." He said, handing me some water from his bag. "Actually, you're really good considering you've never played before." he said, eyeing me sceptically.

"Great." I said bluntly.

"Look, why don't we try some penalties." He reached his hand out to help me up.

I took it, and stood up reluctantly, walking over to a football, putting it on the penalty spot and stepping backwards, watching Jamie take his place in goal.

I surprised myself with that kick. I struck it so cleanly it entered the top left corner and straight into the net, just past Jamie.

"YES!!!" I yelled, too excited to string together a sentence.

"Okay, okay," Jamie said with a smile, rolling the ball back.

"I think that's enough training for today!" I sighed, picking up the ball and walking to my bag.

"Are you kidding? You pull off one pen and you're a pro all of a sudden?" He laughed, picking up his stuff and taking a sip of water.

"It's natural talent, Jamie! I guess not everyone has it." I smiled, gesturing at Jamie.

"Yeah yeah, whatever." he joked, "Anyway, I'll see you later." and he made his way onto the street that took him to his house, and me onto mine.

"Ah! He just looked at me!" Indira squealed, and I rolled my eyes. "Michel. That's his name." she said, staring at a group of boys stood across the corridor.

"Who?" I said, turning my attention to the boys.

"Ugh, who d'you think, Bella?" when I shook my head, getting her to elaborate, she continued, "The footballers son!"

"Ohhhh right." I said. I knew his name really, (the whole school did) I was just so distracted as I put my things in my locker, sighing. It was my football kit. Me and Jamie had been training everyday for the last week, and he had persuaded me to come to training that day.

"Michel seems to like Jack." Indira said, jealousy changing her facial expression to stone cold.

"Everyone likes Jack." I said, shrugging.

"He won't when I'm finished with him." she replied, her expression changing to a smile again.

"What do you mean?" I said, sighing; I knew what Indira was like.

"Nothing!" she replied, trying to look as innocent as possible, but you could see she was deep in thought.

All through double maths, I was fidgeting, nervous about what was coming when the clock finally struck half three. When it came, I was so reluctant to go, I considered bailing on training and heading straight for the comfort of my own house, where I wasn't being judged. But my feet dragged me all the way to the sports hall. I reluctantly opened the door to a bunch of boys (with the exception of Jack) kicking balls back and forth. I was grateful when nobody noticed me sneak in and set my kit down on a bench. Shortly after my arrival, Dillon walked in carrying a water bottle, his other arm around Michel. At that moment, after doing keepie uppies, Jack accidentally struck the ball so it hit Michel.

"Sorry!" she said, looking apologetic.

"Marshall, has anyone ever told you? You play like a girl."

"Aw thanks Dillon, pity you play like a dinosaur." she replied sarcastically, and Dillon had no comeback to her remark.

"Everyone, this is Michel." he said, turning back to the team.

Someone sniggered, and Dillon turned to him, looking annoyed. "Grow up Ash. He may have a girl's name, but he's a top player, and he's looking to take your place on the team."

Michel was quick to jump in. "That's not strictly true." He spoke with a strong French accent. As Dillon lifted the water bottle to his mouth, he glimpsed me on the bench.

"Cave's here!? Don't worry, Mich; you'll have no problem getting into the team now." Before anyone could respond, Hansard walked in.

"Alright! Quieten down!" the room silenced. "Okay. I know we've got a lot of competition for places," he glanced at me and Michel, "which is something a coach like me, loves. Especially when we've got the quarter finals coming up. So, lets start with some passing drills."

We broke off into pairs, me and Jack seemed to just go together after all the boys quickly avoided being paired with us by finding a partner. I saw Dillon overlook Harry to go with Michel.

After passing with Jack for about 5 minutes, and trying to avoid Hansard's watchful eye as he observed the talent, or lack of.

"OKAY!" He yelled over the top of the noise in the sports hall. "Match practice!"

The moment I had been dreading.

Hansard passed me and Jack different coloured bibs, which stressed me out even more, knowing that my only friend was on the opposing side.

"Marshall, get in goal, we need strength in that area." Hansard instructed.

"Give me a chance in midfield, please sir!" she pleaded.

"Look," he turned around. "You'll get your chance, just not yet."

She scowled. "But you're letting Bella play outfield!"

"I need to assess her ability." he said untruthfully, giving me no more than a millisecond of a glance, as if I was so irrelevant his eyesight would be wasted on me.

Jack sighed, pulling on her goalie gloves and making her way to her goal.

The game started off normal, I didn't get many people passing to me, but Michel did. Everyone seemed to pass to him, even when I was in space and he wasn't. He was average at best. Nearly every pass was met with Michel either losing the ball or being tackled.

I really needed to get into the game, I needed to get into the team for Jamie. I didn't need to be really good, just slightly better than Michel. But how was I supposed to prove that I was better, when Michel was getting passed to so much?

Finally, I saw a ball that Michel had lost rolling towards me; I took my chance. Thinking about what Jamie had told me, I dribbled the ball a little way forwards, then reluctantly put in a cross to Dillon, who would have scored, if he were not so surprised at my accurate kick. Hansard also looked surprised, clapping slowly, and gazing at Dillon, who just shrugged.

"Okay everyone! Let's leave it there for today!" Hansard said, still looking shocked, this time staring right at me.

My performance earned me a shove from Dillon on the way out, but even this didn't bother me; I couldn't wait to tell Jamie.