Part 37 - Invites

"That sounds like Hansard." Bella said, straining her ears as they walked into the Common. Sure enough, Hansard and the groundsman were having a conversation, and as far as Bella could tell, it was about the pitch.

"What's going on?" She said to Mike Johnson who was watching from a distance with Jamie.

"Mr Garvey lived next to Mr Hansard when he was growing up. He was like a father figure to him."

"So that's why you needed him to get the pitch?" Jamie asked, and Mike nodded.

"He also needed to be convinced that the team wouldn't be home to any bad behavior. Apparently he saw two Kingsmount pupils fighting here the other week." He said with a sigh.

"Who was that?" Jamie asked, but I think really, he knew the answer.

I sighed as a memory surfaced. "Dillon and Jethro,"

"What a surprise." Jamie mumbled.

"Me and Jack saw them fighting here a while back; had to break them up cos she was worried they'd mess up her team." I explained, then noticed that Jamie's face had gone colder.

"What?" I asked, and he shuffled awkwardly and waited until Mike had walked at least a few meters away before answering.

"Dillon told me you and Jethro are like, hanging out again." He said awkwardly.

I tried not to laugh, my mouth curling into a smile. "Well Dillon is wrong then isn't he." I replied. I didn't know why, but Jamie caring about whether I was with Jethro or not made me smile.

____________________

The next day, I was sat reading my book on the steps into school. Reading was a rare luxury these days, in fact, I couldn't remember the last time I'd picked one up. But the outside world was stopping me from relaxing. I could here Jethro and his mates yelling stuff and kicking footballs about. One of them even kicked one straight in the back of my head, but I tried to ignore them, not wanting an encounter with Jethro.

Eventually, they stopped shouting at each other and I heard footsteps coming towards me.

Jethro sat down. "So," he said, taking my book.

"So?" I repeated snatching my book back.

"So, do you want to come to the First Team game later on tonight with me?" Jethro said confidently with no sign that he had overthought this like I would have.

"Um, why?" I said.

"Y'know, to have a bit of fun maybe?" He said, still looking confident, a smirk on his face.

I thought about it for a second, then smiled. "Sure." although as soon as it came out my mouth I knew the real reason why I'd said yes. Not to go with Jethro. I guess I was still mad Jamie didn't ask me when he was clearly going anyway.

_______________________________

"You're going...with Jethro?" Jamie said later on when I told the group in the canteen at lunch.

"Yeah, so what?"

"So, you don't like him." Jamie said, leaning back in his chair.

"We're only going as friends, Jamie!" I said laughing at how badly he was taking it. But part of me was glad that he was acting this way. "No one else offered to take me, so I didn't want to go alone, did I?"

He said nothing.