Part 24 - The Second Half/Finale!

"Now I have spotted a Foxborough scout in the crowd. So I want you to go out there and win.Come on Kingsmount!" Hansard yelled, clapping his hands and gesturing for the team to start making their way back out to the pitch from the changing rooms.

But someone held back: Dillon. He sat at the back of the changing room, looking down at his feet.

"Dillon?" Jack said as we began making our way out, but stopped when we saw the defeated boy. Now the only ones left in the changing room were me, Jamie, Dillon and Jack.

"Come on the second half's about to start." Jamie said.

"I'm not playing." He said.

"What? What do you mean you're not playing? We need you." Jamie replied - words I'd never thought would come out of Jamie's mouth about Dillon.

"No. You really don't." Dillon replied.

I knew what this was really about - the only way Kingsmount had a chance at winning was if Dillon didn't play.

"So you've had a bad first half! Who cares?!" Jamie said - that was probably one of the most intelligent things I'd heard him say.

"It's not just that."

"Then what?"

Dillon paused, thoughts weighing heavy on his mind. "I've been throwing the game."

Jack and Jamie's faces turned from shock to pure frustration.

"You mean, all those missed passes, they were deliberate?" Jamie yelled.

"I didn't have a choice!"

"Of course you did! None of us would ever do that to the team!"

"He threatened me, said he'd tell Hawkstone about that video I made of Boggy."

"Who did?" Jack asked, looking much calmer than Jamie.

"Jethro."

"You let Jethro tell you what to do!?" Jamie yelled.

"Aright Johnson, stop telling me to not take orders from Jethro when your girlfriend's doing exactly that."

"What? She's not my girlfriend Dillon."

"That's what you're worried about? When Bella's been throwing the match with me all along?" Dillon said, smirking.

"Is that true?" Jamie said, turning to me.

"Yeah." I said quietly, looking straight into his eyes.

"What?! Why?"

"Jethro. Well actually, Dillon. He said he'd tell people stuff about me. And about us."

Jamie stared at Dillon incredulously. "What sort of stuff?" He asked slowly.

"Why don't you ask her?" Dillon said.

"We have no time!" Jack yelled. "It's nearly kickoff. Dillon. You need to stand up to Jethro, or we'll tell Hansard that you're throwing the game. You too, Bella." She said, glaring at us both.

It seemed Dillon considered it, but then got up and started walking towards the entrance to the pitch. Taking this as a yes, we followed him.

_____________________________

The game had gone to 3-3. Penalties. As we gathered around Hansard, listening to his pep talk, I was so nervous I didn't even realize I'd volunteered to take one. The first one in fact.

We lined up facing the goal, both teams stood arm in arm, watching with bated breath.

Still, I was thinking about Jethro. It seemed wrong that I was so focused on another boy when I had a boyfriend, but then again, I was only thinking about him because of what he could do.