Part 35 - Old Friends (Pt. 2)

I knocked on the door of the house, still a bit on edge from my meeting with Alex. I bit my lip as I waited; I heard footsteps slowly get louder as they reached the door. I saw the shadow of someone behind the glass. Eventually, the door opened to reveal one of my oldest friends.

"Bells?" she said, obviously surprised to see me, given that I had barely spoken to her for a whole season. "What-what are you doing here?"

"I just, I came to ask a favour? From your mum?" I said nervously. I had no idea talking to my Ex-Bestfriend would be so hard.

"What sort of favour?"

"We need a football kit for a new team one of my mates has started up. I was just wondering if she could help me."

"Oh, so when one of your new friends means needs something, you come to me? Nice one Bella." she said, about to shut the door, but I put my foot in the threshold to block it.

"Wait...please. Just hear me out!" I said desperately. This wasn't just about a football kit now.

"What do you want to say?" she said bluntly.

"Can I please come in?" I said, weary that Alex was somewhere nearby still.

"Fine." she said reluctantly, opening the door a tiny bit wider so I could get through.

When we were into the kitchen, she gestured for me to take a seat, so I took one, but the awkwardness in the room made it impossible for me to sit still. After sitting in silence for a few seconds, I was about to speak, but was interrupted by the sound of someone coming down the stairs and into the kitchen, but they stopped short at the sight of me. "Bella?" she said, glancing at her sister who shrugged.

"Hi Alba." I said quietly. But she just stared at us both.

"Are you going somewhere Alba?" Ruby said, trying to get rid of her.

"Just out to meet Freddie."

"Off you go then." Ruby hurried her along impatiently, and Alba reluctantly left the room, and the silence returned.

"Ruby." I said, anxious to make amends. "Why are you so mad at me?"

"Why am I mad at you?! Just because you got expelled doesn't mean you have to leave my life as well!" she exclaimed.

"I'm sorry. I wanted a fresh start! If i'd kept coming round I just would have seen everybody from Thornlake!"

"So?"

"So?!" I repeated incredulously. "Ruby, I just walked down your street and managed to get about a dozen hostile stares and got in an argument with Alex! All because of drama that happened months ago!"

"We could have stayed in contact some other way though! A phone call? A text? A letter?" She said incredulously. "A message in a bottle?" she said, but then we went silent again.

"I don't know what else I can do except say sorry." I admitted with a shrug. "So, I'm sorry Ruby."

She looked at me for a second, then did the last thing I expected.

"I'm sorry too. I knew Alex had that video. I'm really sorry." Ruby admitted.

"It wouldn't have made a difference if you knew or not. He still had it, and he could do what he wanted with it." I said, surprised at her confession, but I willed myself to not get angry.

She smiled at me. "Friends again?" she said hopefully and I smiled sincerely back.

"So," he said, sitting down next to me. "Tell me about your new school? Any...I don't know, boyfriends?" she said with a laugh.

"Well...there was one, but then we kind of split up."

"Oh. Well, after the finals last season Jethro was telling me all about this boy Jamie Johnson who you were going out with."

"Jethro said it?" I said, wondering if Jethro had felt a bit of jealously when me and Jamie were together.

"Yeah, by the way, I was surprised to hear you were playing football again. If I remember correctly, at Thornlake you quit because, and I quote, 'Jethro your idiot ex-boyfriend was still on the team'." she said laughing.

"it's not funny Ruby! That was when I thought he'd broken up with me!" I said, shoving her playfully.

"I know, I know." she laughed. "So what did you need Dawn's help with?"

"Well, my mate's started a new football team, and we need a kit..."

"Ohhhh, ok." Ruby said with a wry smile. "Ok, I'll ask her."

"Seriously? Ruby you're the best!" I said, pulling her into a hug.