Part 6 - The Fight

I woke up and ventured downstairs alone the next morning to find a house blissfully empty and silent.
Making my breakfast, I remembered that Indira was getting a lift from her friend to school this morning, which explained her absence. My mum had gone off early to work this morning, leaving me to get ready for school alone. After finishing eating whilst gazing at my phone the whole time, I looked to see if Jamie had responded to my text that I sent, telling him about how I had played in training. He hadn't.

When I got to school, I ran up to Jack whom I spotted in the sea of people wandering through the school gates.

"Hey."

"Alright? Have you heard the news?" She replied.

"No, what news?" I asked, but if it was that important I probably would have heard it by now.

"Hansard's putting up the team list for the quarter finals at training today, I think we've got a chance." Jack said, but there was doubt in her voice.

"You, maybe. He's only seen me play once."

"Yeah but you were good, anyone could see that. Besides, if Hansard does play me, I'll only be in goal. He'll never play me out field."

"Yeah, you said. You just need to prove it to him, that you can play midfield." I offered.

"That's exactly what I plan to do."

At that moment, Michel walked up to us, mostly looking at Jack as he spoke, "Hey. I'm having some of the guys round my house tonight? Want to come?"

"Er, sure. Can Jamie come?" Jack said, and Michel looked taken aback for some reason.

"Sure; is he your boyfriend?" Michel asked, obviously looking for some conformation.

She let out a small laugh, "No, we're just mates."

"Cool. Invite who you like, what about that cute girl... Indira?"

At this point they seemed to have forgotten I had existed, and began to walk off, talking earnestly and laughing. Trying to avoid looking completely lonely, I tried to spot Jamie in the mass of students. No where to be seen.

__________________

At lunch time, I went to training, purely to see if I had made the team (doubtful) and arrived to a group of boys in the sports hall, obviously waiting for Hansard.

"Oh." Dillon said. "I thought it was a joke when Cave decided to show up last week." he walked right up to me. "If you think you have any chance of making the team, dream on." he said, scoffing and shaking his head at me, before joining his mates waiting for the announcement.

A while later, Hansard wandered in, but then someone else did. We heard the door go and everyone looked around in sync to see Jamie walk in. Everywhere went quiet apart from Jamie's footsteps.

"And what do you want?" Hansard asked.

"I know I'm banned Sir, but I thought I could help out with the equipment and stuff." Jamie said, eyes hopeful.

"Oh, right. Okay, well you can get the cones out." He pointed to the store cupboard, then turned back to the group of hopeful footballers.

"Right." he said. "This was a hard decision. But here's the team list." he took a piece of paper and stuck it to the wall; I saw people leaning over to get a better look but the writing was too small. "If your disappointed; Good! Work harder and you will do it." he said, before taking one last look at us and wandering off. Immediately after he walked off to the side, everyone ran forwards to see if their names were on it.

"Subs bench?" I exclaimed as I saw my name. Then it sunk in that all day I had been doubting myself about making the team, I actually had believed I had a chance, and worse, I actually wanted to make the team.

"Goal? Again?" Jack said.

"At least you're playing." I said, unable to hide my anger that Jack was disappointed even though she had made the team. I would have been happy in any position.

One person that surprised me hadn't made the team was Michel. But before I could think of reasons why, Dillon walked over to me and Jack obviously ready to gloat at his tiny victory over us.

"Never mind Cave, you can always try out next time, and then you'll be on the team with your boyfriend!" Dillon said mockingly, and in my peripheral vision, I saw Jamie flinch, and willed him not to react in my head. But Dillon continued, "I was only joking. Michel will make the team next time, ready for the quarter finals, but be prepared to be on the bench for the rest of your life." he shoved past me, preparing to start training with Michel.

"Oi!"

Oh no. Jamie, no!

"What are you saying?" Jamie said, marching right up to Dillon, their faces about 2 inches apart. I could see Dillon smiling; this is what he wants, I thought.

"Stop, Jamie, it's fine." I said, not wanting Jamie to be suspended from the team for longer.

"No! It's not." Jamie said, and he prepared himself to fight.

Dillon smirked, "Just like your Granddad, Johnson. He couldn't control his temper either, could he?"

This is what Dillon had been talking to Jamie about the other day.

Dillon smirked again. I looked around for Hansard, but he was in the store cupboard getting equipment out. Jamie lifted his fist up, and Dillon didn't seem to care; he just wanted Jamie banned. For good, even if that meant getting in a fight.

Before thinking, I just dived in between them, "Stop!" I said, but Jamie's fist connected with my face, and I stumbled backwards, clutching at the spot that was now throbbing in agony. Jamie stepped backwards, his mouth open in shock.

"Bells, I..."

But he was cut off by Hansard.

"WHAT IS GOING ON IN HERE?!" he yelled, and I tried to take my hands off my face as to not look suspicious. Dillon laughed quietly at the chaos he had caused. "Bella? Are you okay?" Hansard said, eyeing me clutching at my face. I just nodded.

"It was my fault sir, I kicked a football and it hit Bella." A voice said; it was Jack's.

"She's right. That's what happened." Michel's voice rang out.

"Is that true?" Hansard asked me. And before sneaking a glance at Jamie, I just nodded. "Right, well. Go and get some ice. Take a day off."

I was glad to leave.

_________________________________________

"Er, why aren't you ready?" Indira said, after school, looking at me lying on my bed still in my school uniform.

"I'm not going." I replied, scrolling through Instagram, not taking my eyes off the screen.

"Ugh, Bella when you get asked to go to a rich footballer's house you don't just change your mind and decide you're not going." she said, rolling her eyes.

"I never said yes." I replied, my tone monotonous.

"Come on." She dragged me off the bed and I groaned. Then, she started invading my wardrobe and pulled out a knee-length light blue dress which I hadn't worn for years. "This isn't completely terrible." she said, looking the dress up and down before throwing it on the bed. "I'll be back in 10 minutes, and you better be ready." she slammed the door behind her.

I groaned, before getting ready for the party.

___________________________________________

A/N: Woah, this is quite a long chapter for me! 🤣 Hope you're enjoying and please consider voting!