Part 23 - The Plan

"You need me to help you do what?" Bella repeated incredulously.

"I need you to help me throw the game." Dillon said again.

"What? Why?"

"Look, Jethro threatened to show Hawkstone that video I made of Boggy a while ago."

"What video?" Bella said, confused.

"Er, I made a video of Boggy being stood up on a date by my cousin who didn't even know about."

"Oh, right." Bella said, confused of why she hadn't heard about this before. "Well why should I help you? Now I know you're going to throw the final I could just go and tell Hansard your plan."

"And lose your best player?"

I scoffed. "Debatable."

"Whatever, but I have no idea why you would go to Hansard about this when I could just as easily show him this." Dillon said viciously, taking out his phone and waving a video in front of my face; I recognised it instantly - it was the video of me and Jamie that night after the last training session, walking home together. And not only that, but it had sound; sound of us talking about being together.

"How did you get that?"

"Did you think no one would find out your little secret? How would you like it if it this got released to the whole school?"

"So you're blackmailing me by threatening to release a video in order to stop Jethro doing it to you?" Bella said angrily.

"That's about it." Dillon said calmly. "I'll give you some time to think about it." He said with a wry smile, before walking back into the changing room. Before he reached the door, he stopped. "Oh, and if the video isn't enough for you, just know that I know other things about you - stuff from before you came to Kingsmount."

"What sort of stuff?" Bella said.

He just shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe it's a lie, maybe it's not."

________________________________
Bella's POV

When the whistle blew to signal the start of the game, I was so distracted by what Dillon had said I may as well have been throwing the final. I knew exactly what Dillon had been referring to, but I still didn't know whether or not I was willing to give up the chance of a win.

But it wasn't just me who was playing terribly; as expected, Dillon was messing up every pass, every tackle. It shocked me how much he wanted to keep his place at the academy; he was playing right into Jethro's hands.

By halfway through the first half, I had started to mess up my passes on purpose. Not because I was worried that the secret about me and Jamie would get out, but there were other things that no one could know. I could see Jamie looking at me, confused at my sudden inability to put some passes together, but I knew I had to throw the final.

_______________________________

About one year ago (again) 🙃

He looked at her with fresh eyes. No more was he distracted by liking, affection. No more was his vision clouded by her sweet smile when they met up after training, her laugh in the cold evenings that made up for the bitter wind.
It was replaced with astonishment, hate, even.

"I can't believe you, Bella." He said, his voice rising.

"I'm sorry." She said, her voice quivering.

"It was a dare, Bells! I wasn't really breaking up with you!" He practically yelled, and her face changed suddenly, her sorriness turning to surprise.

"Jethro, I..."

"Save it. We're over, for good this time."

________________________________

Back to Present

Half time in the changing rooms was like torture. The silence that hung over the room lingered until Hansard spoke up.

"What's going on out there. You're playing like a bunch of strangers!" He said, his voice rising at the end of the sentence. "We still have the second half to turn. This. Around!"

"Harry's trying his best, but Jethro is way too fast. We need to put a different marker on him." Jack said.

"And I'm guessing this person is you, Marshall?" Hansard replied with a sigh and a slight laugh.

"I've watched Harry at training; he's just as agile as me. Put me in midfield, and him in goal. Please Sir." She pleaded.

Hansard started laughing and looked around, expecting people to join in, but no one did. We all knew she would be much better at marking Jethro than Harry.

"Fine." Hansard said reluctantly. "But don't let us down."