Part 8 - The Game

Bella's POV

As I sat alone on the bench, I watched Jack get ready for the game. Dillon was shooting penalties at her, making stupid remarks which seemed to backfire, as Jack just got more and more fired up for the game. I glimpsed Jamie in the stands, watching, wishing he could play. If we got through to the semis, maybe he could. But the question is, would I want to give up my place? No! Bella, this isn't about you; you're doing this for Jamie, I thought. But I couldn't get this nagging feeling from my head.

"Isabella!" Hansard yelled. I looked up in surprise - I didn't realise I'd been staring at the floor. "Get over here!" I ran over to where the team was sat, ready for their pep talk by the coach. But everyone was slumped over exhausted, like the life had been drained out of them.

"I don't need to remind you how important this match is." Hansard said, using gestures to emphasise the greatness of the game. "If we win this, we're through to the semis against Westfield High!" He paused, waiting for an applause or at least an enthusiastic cheer but none came. "What's the matter with you lot?" Hansard asked. When again he was met with silence, he simply said, "Right. Get ready. Play well." and he ran off to speak to the Ref.

"I didn't sleep at all last night - my mind was buzzing for this match." Dillon said, yawning, nearly in sync with the rest of the team.

"Buzzing with all the caffeine, you mean." Jack corrected. "I didn't sleep either. I wish I'd listened to Jamie." she said regretfully.

"Rubbish!" Dillon protested - I knew he'd never admit to anything that meant Jamie was right. "I've never slept before a match." he said, but no one believed it.

"Yeah right." Jack said, but her tone didn't sound rebellious like normal. Just tired.

________________________________

Halfway through the game and it was 2-0. To them. Everyone looked like strangers on the pitch - losing the ball easily, getting tackled quickly and we'd hardly gotten out of our own half.

I watched intently from the bench, watching every movement closely. I heard footsteps run up behind me and turned around to see Indira panting from her 'long' run from the stands.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as she caught her breath.

"Why aren't you out there?" she said, ignoring my question completely.

"Er, because I'm on the bench?"

"Well do something! Go on!" she yelled, pulling me up from the bench. But Hansard already had something planned. He walked over to me, who immediately sat back down on the bench, nervous i'd done something wrong.

"Look's like you're finally gonna get your chance." he said with not much enthusiasm.

I didn't reply, but practically threw the bib I was wearing at him, running to the side of the pitch. Suddenly feeling embarrassed at my eagerness, I looked over at Jamie, who gave me a thumbs up and I nodded back.

________________________________

A/N: Sorry, I always skip the football match scenes because I do a terrible football commentary in these books 🤣

_______________________________

Jamie's POV

Bella literally won us that game. She wasn't the best player on the team, obviously, Dillon was at Hawkstone Academy, but I'd warned them all about those drinks and she was the only one who'd listened. And they'd all paid the price for it.

I tried to catch her at the end of the game - waiting by the gate, I kicked the grass in agitation. When could I play again? This ban seemed to be going on for years.

"Hey!" Bella ran out at me, and unexpectedly pulled me into a hug, grinning, obviously pleased at her performance at the match. When she let go, however, she looked embarrassed, almost shocked at herself, and I tried to quickly change the conversation.

"My mum was wondering," I glanced up at my mum in the stands, talking to Mike, and nervously continued. I sighed. "If you'd like to come back to mine for tea."

She must have heard my melodramatic sigh, for she looked confused.

"If you don't want me to Jamie, it's cool, I can just say I can't make it." she said, looking a little hurt.

"No!" I cut in, a little too quickly.

She smiled and pursed her lips together as if trying not to laugh.

"You were tricking me!" I said, smiling.

"Duh, why would I be mad at you?"

I had only just realised, that we were walking down the road to my house anyway, as if she had already agreed. Maybe I just knew that she would.

"I dunno, you just seemed upset."

At this her smiling face turned to a frown and she looked away.

"Bella?"

"Jamie, I just want to tell you...and please don't be mad at me..."

"What?" I said, expecting something bad now from her tone of voice.

"I don't want to leave the football team when your ban is over!" she blurted out, then shutting her mouth as if nervous of what I was going to say.

"Are you serious?" I said, without thinking, and she looked taken aback, as if even though she'd just told me my worse fear, she wasn't expecting me to be mad.

"I just, really like it."

"That's your excuse?!" I half-shouted. She knew how much I wanted to be on the team. Needed to be on the team.

"Maybe we could be on the team together?" she offered, but this wasn't good enough.

"You think Hansard's gonna pick me over you after you played amazing today and I fought his grandson?!"

She put her hands behind her back and stared at the floor before walking off into the distance.