Part 14 - The Detention

Opening the gate to leave the school, me and Jamie were surprised to see Dillon, Harry, Indira and Jack had waited for us.

"Here they are!" Dillon said in a mocking tone.

"Shut up Dillon. We know it was you who phoned Hansard." I said.

"Was this your 'big plan' that you were working on at the Cave's house. Make us lose the game, trick us into breaking into the school and then get us caught so we're kicked out of the team?"

"Well, my original plan was to make the girls lose and for them to sneak into school, but this works for me." He said with a smirk.

Jamie's face showed all his emotions, and I'd seen that look before.

"What can I say Johnson, I'm the master at pranks, no point trying to..." Jamie tackled him to the ground before Dillon could finish.

"Jamie!" I yelled. He'd lost his temper too many times, but I supposed it didn't matter much now that we were both suspended from the team, and it wouldn't surprise me if we were suspended from school too. Jack and Harry split the two fighting boys up, but I'd had enough of Dillon. I marched right up to him; he was taller, but I wasn't intimidated.

"Why do you have to make everyone else's life a misery to be happy, Dillon?" He scoffed, but I continued. "We're out of the semis now thanks to you. And whatever you say, you need us on that pitch. Good luck next week trying to win without us." And I strutted off.

______________________________

"So what's your punishment?"

"They won't go to the police, but we've got detention forever until the end of time." I said to Jack, who was waiting outside. I lent against the wall outside Ms Savage's office in defeat and pure frustration."Oh, and I'm grounded until the day after the semis, so I can't even come watch."

"That sucks. Oh, hey Michel." she said, as Michel came round the corner with a smile plastered across his face, and she walked off with him, leaving me alone in the corridor. Starting to walk off towards my first lesson, I had a nagging feeling that someone was watching me. Every time that I looked though, I was met with a buzzing corridor of chatting students who seemed to never acknowledge my existence.

We hadn't told anyone about Jamie and Dillon's fight outside the school. I supposed that if no one knew, nothing would come of it. The end. But I knew Dillon, and he could never leave utit like that.

Jamie's dad was back in town. Jamie texted me, wanting to rant about his parents. I hadn't seen him since this morning, when our parents were called in to discuss our punishments for breaking into the school. I'm pretty sure his mum now hated me, probably thinking I was a bad influence, whilst my mum thought the opposite.

After the first period, I eventually spotted Jamie under the stairs outside with Jack and Boggy.

"And then I got a huge telling off for lying, when I didn't do anything wrong!" Boggy was busy explaining something to the other two. Jack was practising a football skill near Jamie who was sat on the wall.

"What happened?" I asked, sitting down next to Jamie, but suddenly he looked uncomfortable.

"Dillon practically passed out on me in the bathroom earlier, and when I tried to tell the teacher, she didn't believe me because when we went back, he was fine again." he said, shrugging.

"Have you noticed how he's always asking to go to the toilet in lessons?" Jamie said.

"You don't think he's on drugs, do you?" Boggy responded.

"Maybe we should talk to that teacher again." I suggested.

"What's the point? She'll never listen." Boggy said, obviously still holding a grudge at her.

The bell rang, and we were forced to abandon our investigation.

______________________________

Straight after the last lesson of the day, I headed to the library where I had detention with Jamie. The teacher told me to take a seat, and I sat in silence for about 20 minutes. I thought about getting out my book, but I'd never had detention before - I didn't know what I was/wasn't allowed to do.

At about 4 o'clock, a younger student ran in, not saying a word, and handed the teacher a small piece of paper, which she unfolded with care. Her stern gaze turned to the two criminals sat in perpetual silence.

"I've got to go, I'll be back soon." She said, standing up at her desk. Before she left, she added. "Don't move."

The silence continued, and I sat fidgeting in my chair, aware of Jamie's presence halfway across the room.

"Are you going to speak to me?" I said with a forced laugh, but quickly turned back around to face the familiar desk. My embarrassment suddenly turned to frustration at Jamie's sudden intense desire to completely ignore me. "Let me rephrase that: why are you not speaking to me?!"

He paused. "My dad's back."

"Yeah, you told me, so?"

"So?" He repeated in disbelief. "Do you realise what a big deal this is?"

"I know. I'm sorry. But what does this have to do with me?"

"He said his football career ended when he met mum; he told me to never let a girl come between me and my football." He said, not looking at me.

"And?" I said quickly, but then realisation of what he was saying kicked in. "...oh." There was a few moments of silence between us, before Jamie spoke up again.

"My dad said he can get me a trial, at Hawkstone."

"Wow." I said, but I wasn't exactly thrilled. I was pleased for Jamie of course, but Jack had told me on his dad's reputation for unreliability. If he really had got him a trial, that was great, but the probability of this was so small.

I turned around in my seat to face him, still eyeing the door for any sign of the teacher. "What you said a minute ago, about me, coming between you and your career..." I paused. "Did you mean that..." I couldn't finish, as the teacher cam striding back in, and I spun back around in my seat.

I wish I could have just finished what I'd started saying.

___________________________________________

"How was detention?" Indira said, her tone cold and bitter, like she had no intention of finding out how detention actually was. We were walking home in the evening, no one was around and it was silent.

"It was fine." I replied showing no emotion.

"Fine?"

"Yeah, fine. What do you want Indie?" I said, my tone a little sharper than I'd intended.

She looked taken aback. "What was that about?"

"Nothing. I'm just wondering why you care about my detention when there are so many different things to talk about - more interesting things?"

"Like what, you and Jamie?" she said, but still not smiling.

I couldn't help groaning. "For the last time, there is no 'me and Jamie'."

"Of course there's not, whatever you say Bella." she said, putting her hands up.

"Just leave it Indira, I've had enough of you! You never think about what you say and I hate it!" I paused, "You never change."

"Well you certainly have." she said, stopping on the pavement and looking at me. I turned around to face her.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"What happened to that girl you used to be? The obsessed-over-books girl who was too shy to even look at someone you liked. Now you're breaking into schools with them."

My heart skipped a beat. "What did you just say?"

She scoffed. "It's obvious you like Jamie, Bella. The only one who can't see that is you."