Part 42 - The Money

After all the events in the Fun Day, we were all called over so that the winner could be announced. I knew it wasn't me, but I wanted to see who it was. My guess was Dillon, Jack or Zoe.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, your winner is..." Hansard said, building suspense. "...ZOE MOORE!" He shouted, which was met with a round of applause and cheering from us all, but I noticed Jack looking slightly disappointed in the corner.

"You okay?" I asked her.

"Yeah. I mean, we've raised loads of money for Phoenix, so that's the main thing, right?" She said, and I nodded.

When I was helping pack the equipment away, my attention was drawn to Jack and Zoe talking by the coats and bags, but I could hear an argument in the background: Jamie's mum and dad. Jamie was watching and I could see the sadness etched in his face. At that moment, Hansard called everybody over again and I had no idea why.

"Everybody?! I have one last announcement to make!" He said, smiling widely. "Where's...?" He said, looking around. "Ah, Jack. Come stand next to your dad. Now, he's just received some very exciting news that you have been chosen to spend a day training with the England Women's Football team!!!" He exclaimed, and everyone around started celebrating. But for some reason, when I should have been happy for her, I was mad.

________________________

I wandered into the changing room, the sound of celebrations still echoing from outside. But there was also someone inside. I could hear the footsteps coming round the corner.

"Zoe?" I said, wondering why she wasn't outside with everyone. Then I noticed what was in her hands.

"Is that...?" I asked but I didn't need to finish the sentence. She had stolen the fundraiser money. "Zoe what are you doing?!" I said, walking over to her. "You need to give it back!" I said, trying to grab the money, but she held her grip tightly on it.

"No! I...I don't even know why I took it, I suppose I just wanted something to go wrong for Jack for once." She said sadly. "I entered that competition for the England Team."

I sighed. "Me too."

At this, she looked up and handed me a wad of the cash. "Here. Keep it. If you don't say anything."

I raised my eyebrows in shock. "Now you're trying to buy my silence! No way." I said, shoving it back at her and making my way to the door.

"Bella! Wait, please. Sure you don't want to take it? It could help you pay off the debt."

I turned around to face her slowly. "What? How do you know about that?" I said, panic building inside me.

"Check your bag." She said, nodding at my rucksack which I'd picked up on my way to the changing room.

Rummaging through it, I found a crumpled up piece of paper: the letter.

"Did you put this back in here? Did you take it in the first place!?" I said, my voice building.

"Yeah. And that's not the only thing I know about."

I looked at her nervously. "What else do you know?"

"About what happened at Thornlake? You and Jethro?"

I took a deep breath.

"So take the money, Bella." She said, handing me some of the cash again. "Wouldn't you want to pay off the debt? So you never have to think about it ever again? You can leave everything in the past. And I won't say a word."

For some reason, I took it.

_________________________

When I got home, I stashed the money in the bottom of my draw and ran my hands through my hair in frustration. Why did I take the stupid money?! I thought to myself. And now Zoe knew about Thornlake. It was a mess.

For some reason, I took out my phone and scrolled down in my contacts to 'J' names.

I listened to the dial tone for ages until a voice down the other line spoke. "Bella?"

"Jethro...I...can I have a word?" I said, taking a deep breath.

"Sure? What is it?"

"Why haven't you been in school?" I asked.

"...you can't tell anyone, but Hawkstone let me go."

I gaped in shock. "Seriously?! Why?"

"Didn't think much of my 'attitude' apparently. Anyway, what was it you wanted to talk about?" He asked.

"Zoe knows." I whispered for some reason.

"Knows what exactly?"

"About what happened at Thornlake last year."

"How?!"

"I don't know! She found a letter in my bag about the left over money that we owe your dad but I dont know how she found out anything else!" I said, panicking again, my voice shaking.

"You don't think Alex...?"

"I hope not." I sighed. "Seems like everyone knows these days." But I didn't have time to answer as my credit ran out.

I immediately looked to my bottom draw where the money was stashed.