Part 62 - Tension

After the announcement about the new team members, I couldn't help feeling a little on edge about my position. This new girl Aimee was good, too good for my liking, and I was skeptical. I hadn't forgotten about our first encounter in Duncan's office, when she blatantly put something back on the wall when she saw me walk in.

So as I walked up to Molly and Mike's office I convinced myself that I was doing this for the good of the team. The last thing we needed was a thief.

I knocked hard on the door and waited for a response. None came, and I looked in one of the windows; it was empty. So much for that plan then. I was just about to give up and head back to the clubhouse, when someone snuck up behind me, making me jump as they spoke.

"Hey." I twisted around suddenly, only to come face to face with my ex-best friend.

"Oh, hi again." I said with a smile, but there was still some sort of awkward tension in the air. "Congrats on joining the team."

"Oh, thanks. It was mostly Alba who convinced me, I didn't really want to. Not sure I'm really a footballer."

"You'll do great."

She hesitated. "I just came to talk to you about...us."

"What about us?"

"Well y'know after the whole...Jethro thing you sort of ghosted me." She said hesitantly. "I just wanted to know if we're good."

"We're fine." I said, then realised that sounded the exact opposite of fine. "I'm sorry if it seemed like I ignored you. My parents grounded me for months and took my phone, and then I started a new school, and..."

"It's fine."

"No it's not! Cos the truth is, we weren't exactly fine before the whole smashing up the car thing."

"No. I suppose we weren't. But that was Jethro's fault."

"No it was mine. I bailed on you that night too. And I never really got a chance to say sorry. So, sorry." I said awkwardly. The truth is, I'd had millions of chances to say sorry for everything.

_________________

About a week later, I'd still not had a chance to talk to Molly and Mike about Aimee , even though I knew I had to sooner rather than later; our first proper match was coming up.

"Are you okay?" Zoe asked me during training. Me, Zoe, Dillon, Jamie were practicing shots with Ruby in goal.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just...must have zoned out." I replied, Zoe eyeing me suspiciously. "Just have a lot on my mind.

Jamie took a shot at goal, which Ruby saved. She was getting good at being a goalie, although I knew Jamie still didn't think she was good enough for our first game. He had been so uptight recently.

"That's pathetic Johnson!" Dillon called mockingly with a smug smile.

"The sun was in my eyes." Jamie replied, lining up the ball for another shot.

"Sure, sure." Dillon replied. He really knew how to wind Jamie up. But to my surprise, Jamie didn't retaliate, in fact, I was sure I saw a smile playing on his lips. Maybe those two were starting to get along.

"Can you hurry up and take the shot?" I asked as Jamie tried over and over again to get into position.

"Yeah Johnson, listen to your girlfriend." Dillon mocked, and I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up Dillon." Jamie said, but he actually laughed this time.

I glanced at Zoe who did the same, both of us surprised at the two boys' sudden reconciliation.

But the good atmosphere didn't last for long. After a while, it was clear everyone was getting tired, especially Ruby, who was having to stop every single shot. But she couldn't, because it just wasn't possible. So of course, Jamie was getting frustrated.

"Is she gonna start saving goals or what?" He murmured to me, obviously expecting me to agree.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "What is up with you?!"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?! Jamie you don't need to be so uptight about our first game. Boggy said the team we're playing is pretty experienced, so there's not really any pressure..."

"Are you saying you don't think we can win?" He snapped.

"No, of course not, I'm just saying..." I started, but he walked away mid-sentence.

After a few more shots at goal, we headed back inside to the cafe.

Jamie took a seat away from the rest of us, head down on his phone.

"What's up with him?" Zoe asked me in a hushed voice.

"How should I know?" I sighed. "I think he's just frustrated. About us not being ready for the match."

"He's meant to be the captain. He should try showing some confidence in us."

"He does...I think." I replied, but my mind was elsewhere. Duncan had stopped at Jamie's table and was deep in conversation.

"He has a strange way of showing it." Zoe muttered.

"Everyone!" Jamie stood up, addressing the whole room. "Training match in the cage at three."

I raised my eyebrows at Zoe, who just shrugged. We didn't need an extra training match, and we all knew it. Whatever him and Duncan had been talking about had got to him.