Part 51 - The Scout

"I'm sorry, how am I meant to help you not go to Foxborough? If you hate it that much then quit. I mean, you're suspended anyway."

"I know; they might not even let me back...but if they did, I don't want to go."

"Then don't. It's your choice."

He sighed. "You should have seen how proud Mike was when I got in there. If I left, he would..."

"Be glad because you've joined his team?" I offered, but Jamie shook his head.

"I just don't wanna disappoint him, y'know?"

"Jamie, the only way you'll disappoint him, is if you give up on football altogether."

"Is this a way to make me play in a minute?"

"No?" I said sincerely - if Jamie played after this, it was a bonus. Sighing, I heard Mike and Hansard calling us over and knew I had run out of time.

After Hansard's boring speech about teamwork, I went and grabbed a drink from the crate, the second half only about two minutes away, when I looked up and saw Jamie was gone. I supposed he really had given up on football after all.

"Convince him?" Jack asked from behind me as I stared off into the distance.

"No. Sorry."

"Don't worry about it." She said, giving no words of motivation like 'we can still win this' - I think, deep down, she knew we needed him.

The whistle blew, signaling for us to get back onto the pitch. But just as we were going to kick off, I heard Mike calling the ref over; he was subbing someone on at the last minute; Jamie.

_______________________

I scored once in the second half, and the score was 3-2 to us by the end of the match. Jamie had practically won us the match however; his break for the winner meant we qualified for the tournament.

Just as the final whistle blew, Jamie was hounded by his team mates, even Dillon, who's celebrations were way too over the top. Me and Jack hung back, laughing, not really knowing what else to do now the match was finished. Until Mike wandered over with an unfamiliar woman dressed in a tracksuit, her hair tied up in a high ponytail and a smile on her face as she approached us.

"Jack, Bella, this is Monica." Mike said, as Monica reached out to shake hands with us both. "She's got some good news for you."

"I'm a scout, from Archfield Women's Academy in London." She said with a warm smile. "We were very impressed with how you played today. We'd love to to invite you to our trials next week."

I immediately looked at Jack, who's eyes were wide and a smile growing on her face.

"Are you serious?" I said in surprise, to which the scout laughed.

"Can I take that as a yes?"

"Err, yes!" Jack blurted out.

Monica laughed, "The three of you will have to work hard though; I've only got room for one of you."

The only thing more surprising to hear than the fact that she only had room for one were the words 'three of you'.

"What do you mean, 'three'?" Jack read my mind.

"Zoe got through to the trials as well."