Part 55 - The Captaincy

The day that Jack was leaving I got up early and headed out for a run before school. As I went past the park I also glimpsed Foxborough Academy in the distance and wondered what had happened at Jamie's meeting there yesterday.

As I got to school, I saw something strange: Dillon and Zoe walking up the steps with Jack. Unless they'd suddenly become friends overnight there was no way that then hanging around her could be good.

All through the day I noticed Dillon and Zoe being extra nice to Jack, Dillon even complimenting her skills as a footballer which was one of the weirdest things I'd heard come out of his mouth. Then I realized: we were all vying for the same thing. The Captain's armband.

In registration, there was a notice on the door saying that Phoenix members should make their way down to the sports hall for a talk before lessons started, but me being my shy self hung around outside until Jack came up the stairs.

"Definitely weren't waiting for me so you wouldn't have to go alone, were you Bella?" Jack smirked after reading the notice on the door.

"What? Of course not." I smiled, both of us starting to walk back down the stairs. "Hey, it's your last day today!"

"Wow, thanks for remembering." She said sarcastically.

"I didn't mean it like that." I said, shoving her lightly. "I'm gonna miss you." I said genuinely, realizing that after today, I would hardly see her. "Promise you'll stay in touch?"

"Of course I will. If you ever wanna see me I'm only a train ride away."

"Maybe I'll see you if Phoenix have away games in London, too." I offered, but the mention of Phoenix suddenly made Jack's smile disappear.

"Yeah, um, Bella? Do you know if Jamie's staying at Foxborough?"

"No why?"

"He told me last night that they've offered him his place back."

"Really?"

"Yeah but he's thinking of choosing Phoenix over a top academy." She said, nearly angrily.

"And so what if he did?"

"Do you realize how hard I've had to work to get into an academy? He gets a second chance and he's seriously considering giving it up." She said.

"I'm sure he'll pick Foxborough, Jack, but it's his decision. He's got to do what he wants to do." I said, just as we arrived at the sports hall and took our seats.

"Does he realise how lucky he is though?"

I just shrugged as Hansard came to the front. "Boys and girls." He said in a low tone. "I hope you'll all wish our captain good luck today as she embarks on her next chapter. Let's give her a round of applause." He said, and Dillon turned around as the others began clapping.

"Jack, listen. I know I give you a hard time sometimes, but it's just because I admire you so much as a player. Good luck." He said, and I looked at him sceptically, then turned to Jack.

"He's after that." I said, pointing to the captain's armband sticking out of her pocket.

She sighed and said nothing, looking ahead as Hansard continued.

"Now, tonight, we've got the tournament: three matches, and the sponsor is coming to watch, so we need to impress her if we want her to carry on supporting us." he said, struggling to contain his excitement as he grabbed one of his bags and began pulling out the contents. "Now, I have a surprise for you all. A new kit courtesy of our sponsors, Tengen." A murmur of excitement echoed around the room and Hansard held up our new kit. "I know with Jack leaving, we no longer have a captain," the room went silent, "and, I believe it is only right that the current captain should get to pick next season's." it seemed like he wanted to say something else but the bell rang, and the sound of voices and chairs scraping soon echoed in the hall as all of us made our way to our next classes.

Me and Jack grabbed our bags, or at least, Jack tried to, but Zoe swooped in first. "I'll take that for you, Jack." she said with an obviously fake smile.

Jack eyed her suspiciously. "...okay, thanks Zoe."

___________________________

After school, we headed down to the Vicar's Common where we were going to play the tournament. It was a warm evening and the perfect way to end the season. I knew winning the tournament and gaining a sponsor would be even more ideal.

Me and Jack began passing drills on the side of the pitch, and noticed Mike and Hansard talking to a woman and leading her into a seat with a good view of the game. I supposed she must have been the sponsor.

"Right, group photo everyone!" Ms Savage called to us all and we gathered on the steps whilst she took the picture.

"Oh look it's Pingu!" Dillon exclaimed, and we turned our heads to where he was looking: Jamie was walking towards us wearing a suit and a red bow tie. To any random person, he would have looked ordinary, but to us, who'd barely seen him in anything but a football kit, he just looked strange; I couldn't help laughing slightly.

"Alright, get all the jokes out now." Jamie replied whilst Dillon smirked.

"What the hell are you wearing?!" I exclaimed, unable to stop laughing now.

"I'm going to a Foxborough thing." he replied, not looking too happy about it though.

"So you are leaving Phoenix?" Zoe confirmed.

"You made the right decision Jamie." Jack added, not even looking him in the eyes.

"So you're not even playing in the tournament?" Wozza asked.

"What, like this?" he laughed, gesturing his attire as we made our way out onto the pitch for our first game.