Part 40 - The Competition

My alarm got me up at 7:30, and after clicking snooze about five times, I eventually got out of bed and put my dressing gown on. Making my way down to breakfast, I could hear Indira already getting breakfast.

"Morning." She said coldly, giving me a glare as I sat down.

"What?"

She sighed. "Look, I love a bit of gossip, but when the gossip is about you or me, I hate it."

"What gossip?" I said, growing anxious.

"And, you're my baby sister so I want to protect you." She said, and I raised my eyebrows.

"Indie, we were born 10 minutes apart. Anyway what are you talking about?!"

"Ok, so, there's a rumor going around that you're going out with Jethro." She said quickly, as if trying to get it over with.

I laughed, pouring some milk on my cereal. "Oh I know." I said, thinking back to me and Jamie's argument and how it had an audience. I tried to listen to what she was saying, but there was a letter on the table that grabbed my attention. Without her noticing, I slipped it into my pocket.

Indira stared at me. "And you don't care?!" She leaned in and whispered in a low voice. "It's not true is it?"

I laughed again. "No, I am not going out with Jethro Stevenson." I said, and i saw her breathe a sigh of relief, but I didn't hear what she said after, my attention drawn to an advert on the back of the cereal box.

________________________

"But what can I even do a vlog about?" I asked once I was at school.

"What was the competition again?" Jamie asked, doing keepie-ups whilst I was sat on the steps.

"You have to upload a 15 second vlog telling them how much football means to you. The winner gets a day training with the England Women's team at St. George's Park." I said, having memorized the advert on the cereal box.

"15 seconds is nothing, you'll walk it" he assured.

"No I won't if I don't even know what to talk about!" I said. "What do i even start with? 'I love football because...' not exactly a narrative hook is it?"

"I wonder if Jack knows about this competition." Jamie said, picking up the football from the ground.

"I was gonna tell her when I see her next. The deadlines at two though; I don't think I'll have even thought of what to say by then." I groaned, putting my head in my hands.

"Ok." Jamie said, grabbing his phone from his bag and pressing record. "Just say whatever comes naturally."

"Um, ok. My name's Isabella, but um, people call me Bella, and I love football because it's really, um...fun?"

Jamie stopped recording and gazed at me sceptically. "Really?"

"I'm sorry I'm bad at talking okay?" I shrugged. "What do you want me to say? I love football because I met both my boyfriends through it and then broke up with them both and got expelled from my old school?"

"Hm, guilt tripping. That could work." He said, nodding, and I slapped him across the head, taking his phone to look over the video.

"What are you two up to?" A voice said, coming down the steps with Boggy.

"Well, we're trying to record a vlog but Bella can't do it." Jamie said, going back to his keepie-ups.

"Yeah, Jack there's this competition I'm entering; you should go for it too it's..." I started, but she interrupted.

"The competition to train with the England Women's team? Yeah I uploaded my vlog last week." She said with a smile of satisfaction.

"Oh." I said, wondering why she hadn't mentioned it to me before then. Maybe she just forgot. Or maybe she didn't. Anger built up inside me slightly, and I grabbed Jamie's phone. "I'll be back in a second."

____________________
A/N: Hi!!! Haven't done a author's note in a while. Hope you're enjoying the story! I am suddenly in love with writing this book at the moment which is why I'm posting so many parts 😂 pls consider voting if you liked it! 😌