Part 54 - Leaving

"Stop sulking." Indira said, practically slamming a plate in front of me at breakfast.

"I'm not sulking, Indie." I said, propping my chin up on my hand.

"Of course you are. You didn't get something you really want. It happens." She replied, putting bread in the toaster.

"Stop talking like you don't get everything you want." I said, but it was probably the wrong thing.

She sighed. "I broke up with Dillon."

My head snapped up on surprise. "I didn't even know you were going out!"

"Yeah. But he lied. Didn't tell me he'd been released from Hawkstone, but apparently everybody else did."

"Well that's news to me." I said, getting up and grabbing my bag from beside the door.

"Doesn't change the fact he didn't tell me first." She sighed again. "Anyway," She smiled, "are you gonna congratulate Jack on getting into the academy?"

I rolled my eyes, but I knew if I wanted any part in our friendship, I'd have to.

________________________

I didn't see Jack all morning, or Jamie for that matter. But I knew she'd be at training; we had the last match of the season the next day. I was preparing myself for how I'd congratulate her on taking the spot at the academy, when I bumped mindlessly into her open locked.

"Bella?" She smiled. For some reason her joy at me and Zoe's loss was aggravating, but I knew it wasn't her I was angry at; she'd played the best so she deserved it.

"Oh, hey. Sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going. Stuff on my mind, y'know?" I explained, being vague on purpose.

"The Phoenix game tomorrow?"

"Yeah, something like that." I suddenly noticed her pulling out the contents of her locker into a cardboard box at her feet. "What are you doing?"

"Clearing out my locker. I'm moving tomorrow." She said casually as if it was obvious; I just didn't expect her to move so quickly.

"Tomorrow?!" I exclaimed. "But what about Phoenix?!"

"I'm playing in the final game, but then I've got to get down to London to start training at the academy." She explained.

"Oh, right." I said, hoping the hint of disappointment I'd felt didn't echo in my voice.

______________________

After training, I walked home, painfully aware of someone heading in the same direction on the opposite side of the road. I didn't want to look around in case they saw me, but I knew our paths would cross at the top of the road where the pavement ended on one side and the other person would be forced to cross.

As they crossed, I finally noticed who it was. "Jamie? Where are you going, you don't live down here." I said, a bit too accusatory.

"I'm heading to a meeting at Foxborough."

"At Foxborough?" I repeated in surprise.

"Yeah. I know they're gonna let me go, what else could it be." He said, his voice less regretful than I'd have originally thought.

"Many things."

"Like what?"

I paused trying to think of something, but the idea that Foxborough would just let Jamie walk back in after stealing a bike and getting arrested was ludicrous.

"I heard about the academy in London. That's good for Jack." He said, quickly changing the subject.

"Yeah."

"I know you wanted that spot, Bella." He said simply.

"I didn't even play that well at the trials..."

"Why do you feel so cheated then?" He interrupted.

"I don't."

"Don't lie. I can tell when you're lying."

"How?" I said skeptically.

"You do this thing with your eyes-" he pointed at me. "Look you're doing it now: you look in every direction other than at me."

"I don't do that." I stated, looking away so he wouldn't pick me up on it again.

"Okay, sure." He said with a smirk. "All set to play for Phoenix tomorrow?"

"Are you? I mean, if Foxborough kick you out, you're allowed to play for us right?"

"Right."

"By the way, Jamie, there was something I meant to ask you. Are you secretly glad that Foxborough might kick you out?" I asked, and he looked down at the ground, so I tried to correct myself. "I mean...it's just that you asked me to make sure you never go back-"

"Yeah. I remember." He sighed. "It's just...not the right place for me. I don't enjoy it." There was a moment's silence before he spoke up again, once again changing the subject. "Hey, y'know when Jack goes to London, Phoenix are going to need a new captain." He said with a side smile.

I didn't know if he was suggesting me or him.