Part 61 - The Announcement

After seeing Ruby at the trials, I was tempted to reconnect with her, but I had this nagging feeling that it wasn't going to end well, not after the whole Jethro thing. In the end, I voted against calling her; besides, I would see her around the club hopefully now too, seeing as her sister made it into the Under-12s team.

I got to the club a little earlier the next day - I knew that Mike was announcing the squad for our next game, and I wanted to hear the results from the Under-14s trials. Despite a good few people turning up, the only promising player I could think of was the girl who i'd seen stealing in Duncan's office. Well, maybe stealing, I didn't know for sure. But she was definitely up to something when I walked in on her. As for her sister, I wasn't even sure why she turned up - she didn't participate in the trials, and spent the whole time staring at her phone in the stands with her hood up.

The atmosphere was tense walking into the cafe. I took a seat next to Jamie who was sat on one of the tables.

"What's up?"

Propping his chin up with his fist he almost seemed to roll his eyes. "We have our first match in a few days, and we're not ready."

"Well, we don't even have a full team yet, so..."

"Exactly! How're we ever meant to get to Sweden like this?" he moaned. I was getting slightly irritated at Jamie's constant dwelling over football. It was just football. Football. It was all he ever talked about. It was hard to believe he had anything else going on his life. 

I even saw him tense as Mike walked into the room with the sheet list, clearing his throat to grab the attention of the kids. 

"I would just like to thank everyone for showing up. I'd like to invite Aimee as our new centre forward, and...Ruby as our keeper." he said briefly, before walking over to talk to Molly and Duncan who had appeared for the announcement.

The only thing more surprising than hearing that the new girl would be taking my position, was hearing that my ex-best friend was joining the team too. Whenever I was at Thornlake she used to hate how I joined the football team, only ever accepting it when she finally accepted Jethro. The only way I could think that she would join the team was if she'd been roped into it by her sister or guilt tripped by one of the others.

I noticed as Jamie shook his head subtly and ran his hands through his hair in frustration. For some reason these days my brain was picking apart every one of Jamie's mannerisms. This one wasn't particularly hard to work out as it was clear Jamie was annoyed at the choice of players.

"What's wrong, Jamie? Too many girls on the team now?" I joked, but deep down I hoped I wasn't right.

"Of course not. I've just...got a lot going on."

"Like what?"

He sighed. "Ever since we joined Northport things have been changing. First with Molly, then Wozza, now the trials. I'm meant to be the captain."

"What does being captain have to do with it? I mean, the team's changing but it's not exactly bad, is it?" I questioned, hoping Jamie would agree but he shook his head adamantly.

"Sooner or later this team's gonna fall apart."

"Okay, I think you're being a bit over dramatic. It's football." I said, trying to be serious but there was still a smile creeping over my lips. "You need to learn how to embrace stuff."

"Embrace football? Or...other stuff?" he said sceptically, and my smile disappeared. I couldn't help wondering what 'other stuff' he was referring too, but he quickly changed the topic.

"Anyway, that's not what we be worried about." I gave him a questioning look and he sighed. "That girl Aimee is too good. I'd be careful about your position."

________________________

A/N: I'm soooooo sorry!!!! It's been maybe 2 or 3 weeks since I last updated, and the truth is, I'm starting to lose motivation and ideas for this book, so if you have any suggestions please comment them!!! I don't want to quit this book as I have a lot of ideas for the end of season 4 + 5 but I just need motivation to write. 

Also, I was thinking of doing a Jamie Johnson one-shot book, as sometimes I just get random ideas and feel like writing them, but most of the time they don't fit in with any of the plots of my books, so let me know if you want to see this.

Anyway, if anyone is still reading this book, thank you, and please consider voting 😊