Part 27 - The Tryouts

A/N: Yesssssss 2K reads! Thank you so much!

_______________________________

I made my way into the sports hall; the protest had abruptly ended as soon as Hansard announced that anyone who didn't show up to tryouts for the team wouldn't get another chance.

As we sat around in a circle, there was a clear divide between the Kingsmount and Westfield students, and I found myself wondering how kids from both schools would be able to play on the same team, especially after Westfield were caught cheating against Kingsmount in last year's semi-final.

"Welcome." Hansard's voice rang out across the sports hall, as he stood on the small stage at the front after his over-dramatic entrance. "Now, there's a lot of competition for places this year as you know, which is something a coach like me loves." He smiled to himself as he glanced at all the potential players of his team.

Suddenly, the door swung open violently and in ran a girl: the same girl from Westfield that I'd spotted that morning in form tutor.

"Sorry I'm late," she said politely. "You do allow girls on the team at Kingsmount, don't you?"

"We certainly do, young lady." Hansard replied. "Something our captain will be very glad to testify to." he said, standing next to Jack, who smiled and muttered a 'yeah'.

"Right guys! Let's get the benches to the side and play some football!" Hansard yelled and the hopeful footballers stood up and dispersed to the sides of the hall, but me and Jack hung behind, curious of this new girl.

"It'll be good to have some more girls on the team." Jack said to the girl. "I'm Jack." she pointed to me. "This is Bella." I couldn't help but notice a hint of harshness in her her voice when saying my name, and couldn't shake the thought that she might not have forgiven me yet for going out with Jamie.

"Zoe. Great to meet you." the girl replied.

"So what position do you play?" I asked, shaking the thoughts from my mind.

"Midfield." she said simply, before running off to join the game.

"Great. More competition." Jack muttered before also heading onto the pitch.

________________________________

"Bella!" I heard a voice from behind me as I walked down the path back to my house.

It was Jack.

"Hi?" I said.

"Are we good?" She asked, looking at me skeptically.

"Yeah, why wouldn't we be?" I said.

"I just thought you were being a bit weird with me after what happened after the final."

"Are you kidding? I thought you were mad at me!" I said.

"What? Why?"

"Well, y'know. I went out with Jamie."

She stopped and faced me. "Look. I'll admit that I was annoyed when I found out, but only cos you kept it a secret. If you want to get back together, I won't mind, I swear." She said, and I could tell she wasn't lying.

"That's never going to happen." I said.

"Oh? Why not?"

"He hates me for lying. He knows that I was expelled from Thornlake and that I kept it from him."

"Well he can't really talk seeing as he kept your relationship a secret from everyone."

"Well, that was kind of my fault too." I said sheepishly.

"Seriously what is it with you and secrets!?" She laughed and I smiled at the floor. She hesitated. "By the way, why did you get expelled from Thornlake?" She said slowly, as if scared she was going to offend me.

"Well, I..."

We stopped abruptly at some shouts echoing from Vicker's Common, an old ground behind my house that was mainly used for Cricket nowadays. Both of us ran over at the sight of Jethro and Dillon tackling each other to the ground.