Part 46 - More Truths

Bella's POV

I didn't know about Jamie stealing Zoe's bike until Indira told me that night. I couldn't believe it. I knew Jamie was acting up since hanging out with Jethro, but this was too far.

Apparently, he was also excluded from school for three weeks, which was just great. I decided to pay him a visit after school the next day.

The morning before, I walked down to breakfast to find Indira again on her phone, scrolling through social media.

"Hey." I said, getting some cereal from the cupboards.

"I can't believe about Jamie." She blurted out.

"Always about the gossip aren't you?" I said with a smile.

"Well, can't you go to like, prison for stealing?"

"How should I know, do I look like a bike thief to you?" I joked.

"Well I don't know. You don't look like someone who would smash up a car either." She said and my smile vanished. Why did everyone feel the need to mention it all the time? It wouldn't be long before everyone would know. She saw me look down and her face softened. "Bella, I'm sorry. But whilst we're on the topic of that, how are you going to pay the repairs?"

I groaned. "I don't know, Indie. I've been paying it back for over a year, but I'm nowhere near how much it costs."

"Why don't you get a job?" She said it so casually and I didn't know why but I'd never thought of it before.

_______________________

After school, I walked to Jamie's, praying that he would be the only one home so I wouldn't have to have an awkward conversation with his mum. At least Mike knew me from Phoenix otherwise it would have been so uncomfortable.

It was just my luck that his mum answered.

"Oh, um hi, I'm Bella - Jamie's friend." I said nervously. "I was just wondering if I could see him?"

"Sorry, but Jamie's just out at a meeting with Foxborough..."

"Bella?" A voice behind me interrupted her: Mike. And Jamie. But Jamie's face was set, cold. He didn't say a word. "What are you doing here?"

"I was just wondering if I could have a word with Jamie. It'll only take a second."

"Just for a second is fine isn't it Karen?" Mike asked and Karen sighed.

"Okay." She said in defeat, and I followed her inside with Jamie.

When we were alone, i noticed he was distant, like he didn't even know me.

"Hi." I said, simply.

"Alright?" He replied, almost like he was bored.

"I just came to say, I'm sorry that your dad moved away, and you should really stop hanging around with Jethro and..."

"Sure you haven't got anything else to be sorry for?" He asked, glaring at me.

"What do you mean?"

______________________
Jamie's POV

I couldn't believe she was still lying to me. I knew everything now. About Jethro, the car, the video, even about Jethro's friend Alex who'd shared it around. And she was still lying.

"I know about the car." I said simply, and she recoiled in surprise.

"What car?"

"Don't play dumb, Bella. Jethro told me everything."

"How much of...everything?" She said, her voice wavering.

"Everything."

She sighed. "Jamie, I don't know what you want me to say..." she sighed again. "I'm paying it back I promise."

"That's not really the point, is it." I said. "Why did you even do it?"

She hesitated."When I was at Thornlake, me and Jethro had been going out for ages. Then one night, he texts me saying it's over." She sighed. "Can't you imagine what that's like? Being in a relationship one minute and then he just ends it?"

"No. Cos I can't even get into a relationship with the girl I like." I said quietly, and Bella looked at me for a second before continuing.

"Well, anyway, Jethro used to live a few streets away from me. His dad owned that golf business, until it went bust, so when I walked up his drive I just saw the car and a couple of golf clubs lying on the grass. And I smashed the windows in. I dunno why. Now that I'm looking back I realized I never really loved Jethro, not like that."

The fact that Bella was being so open with me was strange when I thought about all that she'd been keeping from me. "So how did they know it was you?"

"A family like that has CCTV everywhere. And then Jethro's friend Alex shared it around. And then I found out it was him who dared Jethro to break up with me in the first place."

There was a few moments of silence as I tried to comprehend what she'd just told me, before I spoke up again.

"Got anything else to confess?"

"Actually, yeah." She said, biting her lip. "This isn't my natural hair colour."

It was so random it made me laugh out loud.

"I dyed it. As a dare." She said with a smile.

"How many truth and dares did you play at Thornlake?" I said.

She laughed, and it felt just like old times for a second, before her phone buzzed.

She picked it up and her smile vanished.