Part 44 - Going Bad

Indira sighed. "Zoe asked me to not tell anyone either, so...I guess I won't." She said, and I breathed a sigh of relief and pulled her into a hug.

"Thank you."

She sighed, sitting back down on my bed and groaning. "Ugh, Jamie's gonna hate me, I was convinced his dad was guilty, I went around telling everyone-!"

"If anyone's to blame it's me; I'm the one who let you believe that by not telling the truth."

___________________

That evening, I wandered down to Vicar's Common to walk and clear my head. Now I knew that the money was returned and no one would find out, i felt much better. When I arrived at the Common, i saw Jamie arguing with his supposed friends.

"What's going on?" I asked, running up to them.

"My dad's moved to Scotland cos people round here think he's guilty." Jamie explained, and all that guilt came flooding back. Jamie wouldn't be able to see his dad for ages because of me.

"What?" I said quietly, then a voice spoke up from behind us all.

"Looks like the worm's finally turned." Jethro said, a smirk on his face.

"Who are you calling a worm?" Jamie replied, only for Jethro to smirk even more.

"It means I'm impressed. Never got why you hung around with those losers anyway." He said, nodding towards the group.

"I'm starting to think that as well."

"Jamie," Jack said, "I know you're upset, but we promise to make it up to you."

"Yeah, Jamie. You don't want to be hanging around with Jethro, trust me." I warned, and Jethro gave me a look.

"Didn't stop you." He said, and I rolled my eyes.

"Laters." Jamie said, and walked off with Jethro, leaving us all stunned.

_______________________

"Can't you lot read?" I said, eyeing Jethro and Jamie kicking a ball about with Dillon under a sign that said 'No Ball Games."

Jamie had been strangely distant, spending his time with Jethro and Dillon, breaking rules. I don't know what I had expected after his dad had moved away from him, but it was lonely.

"You're no fun anymore." Jethro said, kicking the ball at me which I then kicked back immediately.

"No, I'm just trying to follow rules." I replied.

"Challenge you all to a game of Keepie-ups?" Dillon asked, and Jamie and Jethro nodded.

"No thanks." I said, turning round to head back to lunch - that's when I heard the window shatter.

___________________________

No one's POV (3rd person)

Jethro, Dillon and Jamie were all stuck in detention after breaking the window the day after.

About 30 minutes in, a boy came and handed the teacher on duty a note which resulted in her having to leave the room.

"If there's any noise in here when I return, your detention will be increased." She said, opening the door.

Immediately, Jethro stood up. "She's such an old witch."

"I say we do a bunk." Jamie offered, to which Jethro smiled.

"Yeah, nice one." He said, nodding and smirking.

"And the point of that is...?" Dillon said.

Jethro sighed. "Are you coming or not? Or have you turned into a Goodie-two-shoes after Hansard's little pep talk the other day?"

Dillon looked at him, then muttered. "Fine. Why not? Not like we'll end up in detention again is it?"

They made there way down the corridors to the nearest stairwell which led to a fire exit, careful to not attract the attention of any teachers.

"Wait, isn't this door alarmed?" Dillon asked, to which Jethro grabbed the handle and stated,

"Only one way to find out."