Part 13 - The Break in

BELLA'S POV

We looked around in alarm; there was definitely someone inside the building. Right outside the sports hall in fact.

"Jamie!" I whispered urgently, and he gestured to the store cupboard; a small space of safety for us, even though there was no lock.
But we were too late, the figure of Mr Hansard barged through the sports hall doors and obviously glimpse my arm disappear behind into the darkness.

"Oi!" He yelled, and I heard his footsteps grow closer and closer towards us. It took me a few moments to realise that Jamie had said something in a low voice.

"What did you say?" I whispered, my voice sounding shaky as Mr Hansard got nearer. This was it - we were going to get expelled, or worse.

"I said, how did he know we were here?" Jamie repeated, but I was still preoccupied.

"Oh my gosh we're going to jail." I said, maybe a bit over dramatically, for Jamie burst out laughing, just as the door flew open.

_______________________________

10 Minutes Earlier

"I can't believe you just did that." Jack said to Dillon, her voice rising but she didn't care if anyone heard. Besides, the area around the school was deserted.

"Lighten up, Marshall." Dillon replied putting his phone away.

"They're going to get caught, Dillon. Thanks to you." She replied, crossing her arms but unable to hide the worry she felt.

Dillon paused for a second. "Maybe that's what you want."

"What are you on about?" Jack replied quickly.

"I know Cave's mum - after this, she won't let Bella out of her sight. And most of all, she won't let her hang around with people she thinks are bad influences like Johnson." he responded with a smirk.

"So?" Jack replied, not seeing where this was going.

"So, there'll be no more hanging around with each other, no more getting together..."

Jack interrupted. "What are you on about, getting together? They're just friends."

"Not what we've heard. Anyway, this means you'll have Jamie all to yourself again. Isn't that what you want?" He said maliciously, trying to cause trouble.

It was true, Jack had been feeling a little left out. Like tonight, they'd partnered up in the scaring game, snuck into school together - if Jamie had asked Jack to do these things she would have said yes straight away.

"Oh wait." Dillon said, his vicious smirk appearing again. "It's Michel you like isn't it."

"What? No. We're just mates." Jack replied with only a small hesitation.

Dillon replied."That's for the best then. Mich is way out of your league. You just stick to people like Johnson."

_______________________________

JAMIE'S POV

How I had ended up stuck in a closet alone with Bella twice in one night? I had no idea.

After Mr Hansard found us in school in the dead of night trying to steal one of his precious footballs, he made us follow him up to his office, where we now sat alone after he said he needed to fetch something.

I looked at Bella across the room. She was sat with her legs crossed on the plastic chair; I could see her shaking from where I was. It seemed Hansard had made an attempt to separate us, as if being in the slightest bit near to each other might result in us orchestrating an escape plan. But we weren't stupid. No doubt he would have checked all the doors again, not to mention he could still punish us now he knew what we'd done, whether or not we were there at that very moment.

I looked around the office: it was small, only a couple of metres long and a few wide. It was a mess. There were open files and books on the desk leaving no empty space for anything else. Nothing was hung neatly on the walls, only a crooked noticeboard with an array of old and new pieces of paper scattered about on it.

Eventually, Hansard came in, and to my surprised was followed by someone else: Ms Savage. Their facial expressions showed anger, disappointment, but mostly like they didn't want to be there. Bored, almost.

I glanced at Bella who looked equally as surprised at Ms Savage's presence. They both took seats on the opposite side of the desk and we waited for our fate.

After a few moments of silence, Mr Hansard spoke with a raised voice unexpectedly.

"I don't know what you two are doing here at this hour, but there will be consequences."

Neither of us replied. We sat in complete silence, looking down at the floor.

Then Ms Savage spoke up. "It was lucky that a few of us were here at a late staff meeting, otherwise we might not have got here."

"How did you know we were here if you were at a staff meeting?" I asked.

"We got a call from Simmonds saying you were breaking into the school and stealing." Hansard replied.

"We didn't steal anything." Bella said without hesitation, then corrected herself, obviously not wanting to be caught in a web of lies later on. "I mean, we were going to take one football as a dare because Dillon told us to because we lost a game to try and scare each other and we were going to give it back I swear, I just wanted to prove that I wasn't a goodie-two-shoes and I was just trying to impress Ja..." she trailed off.

In her rambling of trying to prove our innocence, it seemed she had got caught in the moment and I could guess what the end of that sentence was going to be. I couldn't help smiling as she slowly turned to me looking incredibly embarrassed.

"I don't care what you were doing, or who told you to do it. If Dillon told you to jump of a cliff would you?" Ms Savage argued, her hands linked on the desk in front of her.

We just shook our heads and stared at the floor again.

"I don't think you realise how serious this is." Mr Hansard continued. "But we can't punish you now. We'll discuss this is the morning WITH your parents."

"I'll phone them now." Ms Savage said. "I'm sure they'll be just as disappointed as we are. You can go now."

We stood up slowly and made for the door, but stopped when a voice rang out louder than before.

It was Mr Hansard. "And as your first punishment, you're both suspended from the team. Let's hope it's the last time, Johnson."