Part 53 - The Call

It was the most competitive I'd ever seen Zoe. And Jack for that matter. I was playing well, but nowhere near as good as the other two. They were bringing out the best in each other.

There was one attack however, in a five-a-side quick match, that I realised Jack might have been getting frustrated with Zoe. Jack had the ball, and Zoe was in space but Jack kept the ball, and their team ended up losing possession.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine." Jack replied sharply, taking a drink.

"You should of passed to Zoe in that last attack; she was unmarked." I said, to which Jack spun around quickly.

"You're meant to be on my side."

"I am!"

"Doesn't seem like it, Bella."

"Well sorry. I'm trying to support both of you: you and Zoe."

"Why? You're not even friends with her."

"We're all on the same team." I said, and she didn't respond - just took another sip of her drink before running back out onto the pitch.

The second half of the practice match went a lot better than the first. Me, Jack and Zoe started to put some passes together, Zoe even scoring the winner at the end.

"Seems my wise words have had some effect." I said, and Jack smiled, shaking her head.

____________________

"How'd it go?" Jamie asked the next day at school. We'd barely spoken since that time I'd told him I only wanted to be friends and I could tell there was tension in the air, but we were both trying to make it normal.

"It was okay. I think Jack played much better, but it was okay." I replied with a shrug.

"By the way, I've been thinking. I know you need a way to pay back the...car smashing thing, so I thought, why don't you get a job?" He asked and I sighed.

"I've tried. No one round here hires 13 year olds. Besides, maybe if I get through the trials I'll become a pro footballer and won't ever need a job." I joked, but suddenly my phone started vibrating in my pocket and I grabbed it immediately to see an unknown number pop up.

_______________________
A/N: Sorry! This is such a short chapter and I'm so bad at updating recently 😬I promise I'll try and update again tomorrow or the day after 😌