Part 31 - The Meeting

I dragged Zoe through the long maze of corridors in the Foxborough complex, past training rooms, swimming pools, canteens, and so many other things.

"Why do they need so much stuff? They're playing football not training for every single event in the olympics." I said to Zoe who looked just as amazed at the layout of this place.

Suddenly, as I turned the corner, a man stepped out in front of me, and I wasn't sure whether to run or stand my ground, but it seemed my feet picked for me; I couldn't move. Probably because the man I was standing in front of was none other than Theo Baines.

"Theo Baines!?" Zoe took the words right out of my mouth.

"Who are you two? You're not allowed to be down here." He said, his face turning stone cold.

"We're sorry!" I said - I wasn't much good at making up excuses. "We'll be leaving now. Come on Zoe." I said, starting to walk backwards and pulling Zoe with me.

"You're not going anywhere. Not until you tell me who you are and what you're doing." Theo said, his commanding tone making it impossible to deny him.

I sighed. "Basically, we're playing in a match at the moment and we're losing so we need our mate Jamie Johnson who's on a trial here to come and help us win."

Theo looked perplexed, as if he could never in a million years have guessed that this was the reason.

I noticed his face and couldn't help myself. "What? Thought we were crazed fans wanting autographs?"

Zoe stamped hard on my foot.

But to my surprise, Theo laughed. "Well you certainly aren't fans."

I sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Jamie Johnson you say? Ain't he the one who scored against Tibbs?" Theo said.

"Yeah. He's here on a trial tonight."

"Look, I'm sorry but as soon as you go down to where the trials are being held, security will grab you just like that." He said, looking sympathetic. "But if you go now, I promise I won't say anything."

I sighed in defeat, knowing there was no way we were getting to Jamie now.

"Come on, Bella." Zoe said, turning to leave.

"Wait, can I have a selfie before we go?"

Theo looked surprised, but posed next to me for the photo.

_________________________

When we exited the building, Zoe had a huge grin on her face.

"What are you looking so happy about?" I said, stepping onto the pavement and starting to walk back towards the football pitches.

"Nothing, just you trying to act all hard and then asking for a photo." She sniggered.

I scoffed. "It wasn't for me, it was for Jamie, thank you very much."

"Ooooh," She said mockingly, and I shoved her.

"Stop messing around Zoe, I have to get back in time for the game."

"Pftt, like there's gonna be a good game now Jamie Johnson's not playing." Zoe replied.

"How d'you know how good he is?"

"We played you in the semis last year remember? I wasn't on the team, but I still watched."

"Oh yeah, that time when you cheated." I said casually.

But before she could respond, I heard a whistle go in the distance. The game had already started.