Part 56 - Season 3 Finale

The first game went well, apart from Jack getting a yellow card, but it was only a draw; we needed more points if we wanted to win the tournament. The second game however, was...eventful.

I put in a cross to Zoe, but her marker got there first and made a run down the side, before passing it to Jack's marker who had the audacity to make a dive in the box, resulting in a straight red for Jack and she was off for the last game.

"Can't believe this." She said angrily, aggressively yanking off her armband and throwing it to me. "Here."

I gazed on after her, aware of Zoe's eyes boring into my back but I didn't turn around. We had a game to win.

I took my place behind the assigned penalty taker with the rest of my team. Wozza had to save otherwise we were pretty much out of the cup.

The taker looked nervous, and stuttered as he ran up to the ball; he blasted it at the net but Wozza just saved it and it flew over the top of the net.

I saw Jamie on the side just as he was leaving. He seemed sad that he had to leave, but I convinced myself he was doing the right thing - Jack thought so, so why did I still have a feeling he'd be better at Phoenix?

Without thinking, I yanked off the captain's armband and ran over to Zoe. "Here. I know this means a lot to you." I said, handing it to her and jogging off the pitch.

"Wait Bella, where are you going?" She yelled after me, but I ignored her, running after Jamie.

"Jamie! Wait, please!" I shouted. There was something bugging me that I needed to work out. He didn't slow, in fact, his pace seemed to quicken; I know he'd heard me. "Jamie!"

I gave up - his pace was too fast for me. I watched as he disappeared into the distance as I caught my breath. Suddenly, my phone started vibrating in my pocket, and I pulled it out, the Caller ID showing the name I already knew was calling.

"Jamie!" I said through a shaky breath.

"Bella? What did you want?"

"So you did see me. Where are you now?"

"Just getting to the car-"

"To go back to Foxborough? Jamie, why are you going back?"

There was a pause on the other line and I couldn't tell if it was cut off or not. "You still there?"

"I can't win with you and Jack. She thinks I should go, you think I should stay. What's it gonna take to make you both happy?" He said, and I could hear his voice waver for a second.

"Jack didn't hear you say you never want to go back to Foxborough." I argued.

"That's not what I said." He replied.

"Jamie, did you or did you not say 'you have to make sure I never go back to Foxborough'." I asked rhetorically, getting slightly annoyed now - why wouldn't he listen to me?

"Okay, I did, but Foxborough's in a high league - it's the best place for me..."

"Don't ever say that again. The only times I've ever seen you happy this season is when you were playing for Phoenix. Foxborough may be flashy but it lacks in compassion as equally as how much money it has." I replied.

I heard him sigh at the other end. "Go back to the match, Bella. They'll be down a great player."

I clicked on end call without replying.

____________________

The second half of the match was just starting when I got back, and Hansard didn't look too happy to see me.

"And where have you been?" He said, his arms crossed as he watched his players from the sidelines.

"I was just..." I started, but trailed off when I noticed the scoreboard. "Are we...?"

"Losing? Yep." He replied. "Their striker scored twice in the first half after you left. Where did you even go?"

"Just went to try and convince Jamie to play. Didn't work though."

"Look, Jamie's made his decision. You can't..." this time it was his turn to trail off as he glimpsed something in the distance; my head turned in the same direction he was squinting at. "Looks like your powers of persuasion are greater than you think." He raised his eyebrows, nodding to the figure growing increasingly bigger as he got closer to us.

"Jamie!" I heard Jack shout from the sidelines.
____________________

With me and Jamie both back on the pitch, we had a full team again, and Phoenix dominated the second half. And we won. Jamie scored the winning goal.

"Great goal." I heard Jack congratulate him after the game, but I noticed her face didn't match her tone as I watched on from a distance.

"I did it for you, Jack." He replied, but she stopped in her tracks.

"Don't you dare say that. Cos when you realize you've made the worst decision of your life, I don't want you blaming me."

"What?"

"Choosing Phoenix over an academy. I can't believe you." I heard her say.

I didn't hear the rest of the conversation, as Nancy came over with a Phoenix shirt for me to sign that we'd give to Jack.

After the celebrations were over, we gathered outside Jack's car as we said goodbye; I hugged her and wished her luck, but there was no time to talk properly, as she'd miss her train. I noticed Jamie hanging back - they couldn't let it end like this, could they?

As the car pulled away, we watched it turn a corner before Jamie began to run. Fast. Chasing the car.

"Um, what's he doing?" I asked Boggy.

"He's going after her."

_____________________

"Tell me why we're here again?"

"Dillon, have a bit of compassion. His best friend just left." I replied, leaning against the fence as we waited outside the train station.

"No one did this for me when Harry left." He muttered.

"Because nobody likes you." Boggy replied, to which Dillon stared at him as if it was a surprise. "What? It's statistically proven."

"What are you lot doing here?" We heard a voice and saw Jamie, his face blotched but blank, showing nearly no emotion.

"Thought you might need some moral support." Nancy replied with a smile.

"Did you see her?" Zoe asked.

"She's just gone." Jamie replied, again showing no emotions. I nearly couldn't tell if he even cared that she was gone, then I saw the pen in his hand: he'd signed the Phoenix shirt we'd made for Jack.

"Um, I was thinking." She said, stepping up to him. "If Jack knew you were going to stay at Phoenix, she would have given you this." She pulled out the Captain's armband that was stashed in her pocket.

"Are you sure?" He said in surprise.

"Jack may be gone, but I think she's left Phoenix in some very capable hands." Boggy said, all of us beginning our long walk home, my hand brushing against Jamie's before I pulled away awkwardly. He just smiled.