Part 12 - The Forfeit

Indira pointed at the message on the wall.

"What is that?" she said, her voice laced with terror.

Putting on my best acting performance, I said "I don't know, we only just got here."

This seemed to freak out Indira even more. To be honest, I had absolutely no idea why she was so scared; my pathetic attempt at a frightening message had consisted of one word. 'Beware'. Yes: 'Beware'.

But Indira seemed absolutely terrified, frozen in fear. Jack however, didn't look convinced. Her focus seemed to be on me and Jamie. Her mind probably thinking up reasons we were 'talking' in the bathroom alone like I'd told her. Why on earth did you tell her that Bella?! I screamed at myself in my head. But Jamie had said they didn't like each other, didn't he? My thoughts were interrupted by Dillon running up the stairs noisily.

"Did one of you just phone me?" he said. This was the first time I'd heard his voice not confident or intimidated. It sounded almost...scared.

Jamie replied with a shrug. "No." This was the truth - it wasn't him who'd called him, but he knew who did.

"Well then why did I just a phone call telling me to come to the bathroom, and here you all are." his voice was getting frustrated now. Not seeming satisfied with the unenthusiastic shrugs he got from all of us, he proceeded to pull out his phone, and I knew what was coming. "Fine." He said, furiously tapping on the screen. "Let's see if it was one of you losers." He looked up at us. "Last time to admit it. Anyone?"

Why didn't I just admit it there and then?!

"Fine then." Dillon continued after no one owned up, and he tapped on the last phoned number. I closed my eyes in frustration for a second when my familiar ring tone began to ring from my pocket.

With a satisfied smile, Dillon put his phone back into his pocket.

"Bella!" Indira said angrily, then looked embarrassed at her previous performance of being so scared.

"We were only playing the game!" I said back to hostile stares.

"But you too aren't even on the same team." Jack said, her voice sounding more disappointed than angry.

"Yeah." Dillon said with a vicious smile. "Which means you're automatically both disqualified."

"Says who?" I replied, crossing my arms.

"Er, says me cos I'm the one who invented it?" Dillon replied as if this was the most obvious thing in the world.

He continued. "Which means that you have to do a forfeit."

______________________________

My mind raced as we walked along the road, the consequences of what we were about to do swimming to the front of my mind. Detention? No, not harsh enough. Expulsion? Probably. All we had to do was to not get caught. But then the guilt would remain from knowing I'd done it, not to mention Dillon's knowledge of us doing it, and how he could use it against us.

Eventually, we arrived at the gate to school.

"You don't have to do this y'know Bella. He can't make you." Indira said, but this made me want to prove myself even more.

"Yeah, just go crying to Jamie, I'm sure he'll be willing to beat me up if it came to it." Dillon replied with a smirk, knowing exactly what he was doing to try and push Jamie's buttons as well as my own.

With a surge of anger, I grabbed the cold metal of the gate and it swung with my weight as I pulled my left leg over. Now I was sitting on top of the gate, looking down at a smirking Dillon and Harry. Jamie was unusually quiet, but I knew he was nervous.