chapter 46

Artemis' POV

The manor was to quiet now. Wally and Dick had fallen asleep during our movie. Though Bruce tried to stay as long as possible he had called away. The quiet was so loud I can't sit in this house any longer.

As silently as possible, I get up off the couch and limp down to the batcave. On the way down Alfred sees me, "I'm going to the cave I can't sit any longer." I say putting in no room to argue. He just nods and takes up dusting the next item on the bookshelf.

Taking the zeta tubes, I go the first place I can think of. The zeta brings me to a pile of rubble, this can't be right. This can't be the cave. As I look around the memories of the walls coming down around us surface. The memories of being stuck under the pillar before the scary hands grabbed me.

Tears role down my cheeks as I am walking. Not knowing where else to go I walk, taking our dirt path down to the beach. Winter was coming and the wind was nipping at me. Even though I was feeling the cold I continue trudging through the sand.

Farther down the beack there is a lump. Slowly getting closer the shape transforms into a person. The guy sitting in the sand doesn't seem to acknowledge my presence. He just keeps staring off into the sea. As I get closer without even turning he says, "for the last time, I don't care who's worried about me I'm not gonna stop waiting for them to come back!" Conner, that's Conner!

"CONNER," I tell out in surprise, what is he doing here!? Finally he turns, once he does I see the tears that have stained his cheeks. "Oh my gosh Conner you're here!"

The boy jumps to his feet and pulls me into a crushing hug. He holds on so tight it starts to make my ribs soar but it doesn't matter. Seeing him just makes me cry even more. I'm safe and I'm home. Conner must have held onto me forever but I didn't mind, the contact felt good.

Finally he released me to hold me at arms length inspecting me. He looked at me, tilting my head with his hand to see all the damages. "I have missed you so Artemis, I didn't know what to do without you," he squeaked out with his voice cracking.

"Oh Conn, no need to get emotional, it's not that easy to get rid of me," I joke trying to build up the mood.

Sniffling up he halfheartedly smiles "I would hope not." I chuckle at that. His  eyes are red and puffy tears are pouring out of his eyes and he has extreme bags under his eyes, yet he endulges me in my false humor.

I realized I am shivering when Conner takes his hoodie off and hands it to me, "warm up Arty we need to get you inside somewhere." I know he is right but I don't know where to go. If I go back to the manor I have to answer for where I've been. I can't go "home" because I don't know what state i will find it in and I'm not ready to face it yet.

Conner grabs my hand after I shove his warm hoodie on. Leading me up to the zeta tube, he puts in an address that I didn't know. I went first then he followed. When we both got shot out my legs give out. The impending pain never comes, I peel open my eyes to see him holding me up away from danger, he looks at my state before saying, "I'll give you a piggy back ride to my house." Oh so that's where we are going, that's the best option I can think of.

Conner takes me onto his back, standing straight up. I lean my head on his shoulder as he carries me to his house. When we get there he doesn't set me down as I was expecting. He just continues on through the house up the stairs into a bedroom. It is very plain and bare. Instead of just having me hop down he lays me down onto the bed, pulling the covers around me.

Getting in on the other side he sits above the blankets and looks down at me. "I'm glad you're back and safe Artemis, you're my best friend, I'd be lost without you." A real smile made it's way to my lips for the first time since being captured. My eyelids grow heavy and I panic reaching out for Conner.

He takes my hand and messages it, "it's ok I'll watch over you." That's all it took, my lids grow to heavy and finally shut.

Hey lovelies, so I've had like zero motivation lately but I wrote this chapter finally, I have been so excited about writing this and showing off their friendship for a while and I finally got around to it, thank you for reading I love all of you.