Chapter 49

Dick's POV

For the first time since I had been rescued from that hell hole I was alone. No one was here and no one would be able to find me. After breaking down in my best friend's arms I couldn't take it anymore. Everyone was walking on eggshells and whispering once I was out of earshot. The same thing happened after my parents death, something I said I would never allow to happen again. I am not a child. I am not weak.

Here I am on a cold windy night on the roof of a building hugging my legs into myself alone and yet I feel the most comfortable I've been in a long while. The bats can't judge me, they don't stop flying to make sure I'm okay. Sitting at the tallest point I could reach was truly my comfort spot, my home. I belonged with the birds in a sense, up here I never felt lonely even when I'm alone.

After my parents death it wasn't till my first true night as robin till I felt it. I couldn't understand it at that point. I had still done gymnastics and trapeze but it wasn't the same. It never made since till I came up to the rooftops that night. There was no net up here. There was nothing between me and the cold hard ground, there was no room to make a mistake and like my parents, I never did.

Sitting wrapped in a blanket I had brought, I got a call. Heaven knows I don't wanna answer it, I look at the caller ID, Artemis. Immediately my thoughts switch, taking the call through. "Dick, I'm scared I need your help." The words were enough to worry me yet nothing prepared my for the cracking sadness in her voice. Very rarely did Arty ever show emotion because, Emotion is a weakness never let anyone know how scared you really are. This was one rule of her fathers that she kept on place.

Pulling up the tracker I have on her, she is on the outskirts of metropolis, huh, weird. No one even lived around there. Even the Kent's lived over a thirty minute walk away and Art doesn't have her license. No matter, I needed to get there. Taking a quick exit down the fire escape till I could jump onto solid ground. Speeding off to the closest phone booth to get near her.

Stepping my foot out onto the metropolis pavement was always a weird feeling. There was just so much light, everywhere. No matter what time it was, weather the sun was up or down. It gave the town a sense of security that Gotham could never have. It bothered me, put me on edge. If nothing bad is happening, something much worse must be coming.

I must look crazy right about now, sprinting down the streets looking at my wrist in my pajamas in the setting sun. Still I press on in search of my best friend. The dot moves closer and closer till I am feet away. Looking around I find her, Art is curled up in the corner of the alley behind a couple garbage cans. She had made quick work of making herself small. Even if I was looking for her, if I hadn't known exactly where she was I would have missed her completely. Her training was extensive and even panicking she remembered it. 

Walking slowly and quietly I announce myself, my voice hushed "Arty I'm here, I made it." I know she hears me without her acknowledging it because she doesn't flinch away when I sit beside her. Instead she just leans her head on my shoulder. We sit there in silence for a while before she asks "Do you think we're broke beyond repair?" That scares me, not because I've never thought it but just because she has always been my hope, her and Wally made me believe that maybe it was possible for me to find someone that drives me insane and makes me smile when they're not around. 

Now hearing her uncertainty and realizing how screwed up we both really are, I don't really know. I realize I don't have a definite answer for her. All that slips out when I open my mouth is "I really hope not." Honestly I'm not even sure because right now we would suffocate someone if they were trying to love us.

Hey Lovelies, I'm sorry I have no excuse do I have time to write, an abundance of it. Did I chose to use it, apparently not. Oh well thanks for the understanding Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed it.