chapter 44

A/n I'm going to work on editing the earlier chapters they are going to stay relatively the the same but I started writing this a while ago and my writing has gotten a lot better so I will be doing some touch ups.

Dick's POV

The searing pain in my side wakes me. Looking around it's still dark outside. Artemis is asleep on my lap. Wally is passed out on the couch with his arm dangling to the floor.

My side kept burning, like I was getting stabbing repetitively. The past weeks had blurred together and all the memories were just as painful. If I didn't fix this soon though I may start screaming.

Carefully I pull the pillow laying next to me and slide it under her head while slipping myself out. Her head rested down onto the pillow, not even turning from the change.

Taking a step, I inhale sharply. This walk to the kitchen is going to hurt like a b*tch. One short step after another I make it to the kitchen grabbing the one ibeprofen from the drawer next to the fridge. Taking three I rest my hands on the countertop. There is finally a moment to be alone and breathe without fear.

"DICK!" Artemis's voice cries out through the dark. Pure terror in her voice as she continues to scream "DICK WHERE ARE YOU!!?"

"I'M HERE" I yell back knowing everyone is already awake from Artemis's screams. Taking faster steps I make my way back to her so that I can calm her down. When I make it into the room, what I see breaks my heart.

Art is sobbing and clawing at Wally who is trying to hold her back so she doesn't tear all her stitches. He is holding her securely in his arms. Whispering something in her ear, he attempts to calm her down.

When her eyes lock with me she finally deflates into Wally. There is so wave of relief that crosses is face. I take my spot on the floor next to her and I grab her hand. Taking my thumb, I run it back and forth across the back of her hand. Telling her, I'm here I'm real and I'm not leaving her.

My need to protect her has gotten stronger since we were captured. When we were, there, she was always protecting me. Every time they came in she would annoy them and egg them on to make sure that if they chose someone it would be her. She is such a strong person, never once he she given up.

Every time I looked at her all I could see was my little sister who needed protecting. Each time she proves that I'm wrong, and I'm the one who needs protection. Bruce and Alfred join us on the floor after giving us a moment alone together. We sit there together while Artemis lays down in my lap with her body curled up into a ball on Wally's. She sobs with her face barried in my shirt.

Bruce looks to be on the brink of tears himself. He takes the seat pushed up on the couch next to me. Putting his arm around me, my head falls onto his shoulder. Alfred smiles sadly grabbing the forgotten blankets from the couch. He once again wraps one around Art. She clutches the fabric in her free hand.

We are sitting there all together when the door burst open. In comes Wally's parents. They are on a mission as the look around, till they find us all together on the floor. When they see us they falter for a second. As if the are having an internal battle with themselves of if to yell at Wally or not. 

Turns out they chose not to. His mother just calmly says "Wally, next time, just wake us." She walks up next to him and stroked his face softly, "we were worried about you." Her words crushed my insides just a bit as I think about my own mother.

My mother was the most caring person in the world. What would she have said if she was here for this to happen? I'm sure I would be in so much trouble for worrying her but she would hug me and hold me and make me feel safe.

Before I can stop it the tears are slipping down my cheeks. Everything that happened hits me like a train. Soon my sobs match Artemis's in volume. We sit there a mess as our worried family surrounds us.

Hey lovelies, thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoy it. Have a day, it doesn't have to be good but make it to the next, if you are having a hard time just keep fighting and look out at the stars do small spontaneous things, make it to the next day and keep trying! You are loved you are important! Merry Christmas, happy holidays!